Author Topic: Bending an alloy gear shift lever without breaking it? What is the procedure?  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Hi Tech Talkers,
My 79 CR 250 has a stock alloy gear shift lever and it is or has been bent in a bit too close to the casing to be comfortable for me. What is the correct process to bend it out a little without the risk of breaking it? Should I heat it up first or just put it in a vice and bend it cold?
Thanks,
Kenneth
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
bend it cold.
clamp it in the vice and give it short sharp blows with the hammer of your choice.
avoid giving it really BIG whacks
"flat bickie"

oldfart

NO  heat 

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Thanks
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
how about sitting it on something flat/solid with the curve upward,then hit it with  lump hammer in the middle till it moves!,(i use a press),do it at warm room temperature,not bloody cold,not hot ::),good luck  :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Use a vice and a large shifter warm it with a hair dryer or heat gun till it's very warm to touch then use the handle end of the shifter with the hole place it over the shifter and bend.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Swiss

I do remember some comments made years ago on the possibilities of making bent levers straight again.  Seems that the concensus was that the Factory parts were more likely to survive the surgery/pounding than the aftermarket units.  Had to do with the malleability/toughness of the alloys used.  From experience I would agree with that idea and have straightened some factory aluminum units successfully but not had luck with the aftermarket parts.  Most alloys will also work harden from bending back and forth so there is a practical limit to how many times you can fix them without breaking them.

Swiss

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
if you have an oxy /accetylene set lightly blacken the gearlever,then gently heat to remove black then straigten then quench