Author Topic: Shortening cam chain - good idea or bad?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Shortening cam chain - good idea or bad?
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:38:30 pm »
I've got myself a cam chain which is 2 links longer than standard on an XL250, I want to knock off 1 link. Do I
(a) get hold of a breaker, cut and re-join
(b) Use a master link to join (pretty sure some of the older Honda's use this)
(c) None of the above

Offline ji107

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Shortening cam chain - good idea or bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:00 pm »
i've rerivetted cam chains many times and haven't had a failure yet.
I carefully press out 1 pin, ( if you can find a small chain breaker, works well to at least get it started, then punch/push out the pin with a small pin punch or something similar.
I then carefully grind the end of the pin where it has been peened over to make it round and also it will push back into the hole easily.
Shorten the chain the required amount, push the pin through and peen over the end ( that you previously ground down) making sure that it's not too tight on the side plates

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »
I use Tsubaki chain off the roll for my roadrace Honda, same size as gokart drive chain and comes with peenable links, so they should be readily available.
Roadrace Honda prep from all corners of the globe carries the common theme : NEVER use a clip link in a camchain... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:02:39 pm »
geezas Ji107  bad idea mate,don't grind the tip,when you push/press it back through the sideplate it expands & locks itself!!(usually don't have to spread/peenover with punch thatway!),i use steel plate with predrilled holes,one shallow locating the pin you leave alone,the other a predetermined depth where the pin disengages from the centre roller,but remains in the sideplate,twist the camchain sideways to release ,remove links you don't want, realign,punch back together,simple,done it that way forever,wait till you try & shorten morse (hyvo),tip, don't drink before attempting  ;D, :P
ps GD,DID gokart chains lighter than tsubaki,but it's dogbone,harsh on std tensioner system,(if yer running that  ;))
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline ji107

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:56 pm »
Been doing it for 40 years Mick, no problems yet

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:21:16 pm »
Thanks guys. I'd thought I might buy a tool...but they ain't cheap? $100 for a light set. (yeah, I'm a cheap bastard, buy I don't expect to join up too may chains  ;D)
Might duck into the local bike shop and see what they want to do it.