Author Topic: What BOOK have you read more than five times ..?  (Read 9947 times)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
Re: What BOOK have you read more than five times ..?
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »
ok so i am a big kid. i never find the time or inclination to read a serious book.
NOT ONE? NOT EVEN ONCE?  I am unable to comprehend this.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2011, 11:54:17 am »
Thanks Jimg1au - for PM with background on your childhood, and what you knew of O'Grady the author.
Thanks heaps ... good on you

:-)

firko

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
NOT ONE? NOT EVEN ONCE?  I am unable to comprehend this
Luke this is more common than you'd imagine. As I mentioned earlier I've got a couple of mates who will read tech manuals and the very occasional biography or historical tome but they can't find any interest at all in a fictional novel. Both state that they can't stay interested in something that's a figment of someone elses imigination. Both of these blokes are successful businessmen so they're not exactly dummies and neither is dyslexic. Another mates son heads a huge international advertising agency and he's yet to finish his first novel :-[.
It's sad I know but they're all getting along fine without literature so each to his own. Personally, I can't sleep at night unless I read a chapter ot two. It's been that way since I was a kid.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »
Mark, I am both surprised and saddened that men can go through life and never read the Roger Welsch book "Love, Sex and Tractors".

Replace 'tractor' with 'dirt bike' and they would be cheering from the rooftops in praise of this book.
This man knows about "Women School". this man knows his shed. this man knows the value of a naughty calendar.

If anybody on this list has NEVER read a book without pictures, this one would be a good place to start.

Luke

firko

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »
Mark, I am both surprised and saddened that men can go through life and never read the Roger Welsch book "Love, Sex and Tractors"
I plead guilty....I've never read it but if you reckon it's that good I'll see if I can dig up a copy. I feel the same with Hunter.S.Thompsons 'The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved'. It should be essential reading for all creative writing students or just those appreciative of a beautifully written good yarn.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »
This explains why I'm broke,dumb,and have no future aspects.
Read most of Harper Lees books.Reading and re-reading; Joseph Conrads difficult, but entertaining books.
Tolstoy..........yeah well. Had to help on some "research",for my brother.
Read Toynbee.Mmmm.History.
Read Marx,Mein Kampf,yeah yeah.Thank my brother who's a Prof now,who got me to proof read,and research for him.
Reading a marvelous publication of servicing- "Yamaha DT250A,DT360A,"sent to me by Jimau.
Bit of different enlightenment.
Oh,Brue Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do."Exciting to delve into his thoughts on defending on self.
                                                                           Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 08:31:31 pm »
I grow up at school using a reading machine, couldn`t keep up with the clucking thing, teacher abused me for not keeping up, hate reading, hated the teacher, ready machine was in use for one year,education department through it out of the window. Bad idea, now l don`t mind reading but still hate the teacher.
I like reading doggy digger books, green horror, VMX, Geelong Advertiser on saturday by sunday l use it for toilet paper, Fishing books, Just bikes, the forum, started reading the crow once, I was real happy with myself read 10 pages realised their where 2,690 pages to go chucked it in the bin, got the video instead,sat down and watched that it was easier.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:33:32 pm by 70`s Scrambler »