Author Topic: Pay Pal costs  (Read 2609 times)

Tony T

Pay Pal costs
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »
I just bought something on eBay. Total including postage was $301.50. Then when I go to pay with Pay Pal, it suddenly adds 10% for VAT for an item in Australia.  :o
While I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me, anyone ever struck this? Is it a new Pay Pal thing? Not happy if it is...........  >:(

mx250

Re: Pay Pal costs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02:28 pm »
I just bought something on eBay. Total including postage was $301.50. Then when I go to pay with Pay Pal, it suddenly adds 10% for VAT for an item in Australia.  :o
While I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me, anyone ever struck this? Is it a new Pay Pal thing? Not happy if it is...........  >:(
Is that VAT or GST? ???

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:03:35 pm »
Never struck that contact seller and ask why they have instructed Paypal to do that. Suss...... >:(
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:08:51 pm »
if its a PAypal Au or US you dont pay fees as a buyer,   I think if your item is UK or Nz, you just got hit with a VAT.   You would be able to claim that back though from them as you would when you leave the airport. you would need to file form though , so i guess it depends on how much and if you can be stuffed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:15:30 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Rosco400

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:57 pm »
VAT (Value Added Tax) sure is a NZ thing (DJ or TM could confirm), same as GST but under a different name, maybe item lists location from Australia but coming out of NZ, just a thought :-\

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18:30 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Definitely VAT and his email doesn't sound look Aussie as it ends in @postbox.to
Anyone have any ideas where that's from?
The item is listed as being in Point Cook Australia and his profile states that he is in Australia.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:27:04 pm »
VAT (Value Added Tax) sure is a NZ thing (DJ or TM could confirm), same as GST but under a different name, maybe item lists location from Australia but coming out of NZ, just a thought :-\

Sorry but NZ has GST since 86/87, sometimes some local ebay sellers add a surcharge to cover their fees but it should only be 3% not 10% (sounds suss to me)
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:32:02 pm »
Just heard back from the seller and he sounds genuine in that first thought it was GST.
Regardless he has given me his bank details instead so I've paid that way.
I guess it's still possible that I've been had as I can't claim the insurance you get with Pay Pal.
We'll find out soon enough I guess..............

Rosco400

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:41 am »
Just looked it up and the only non european country charging 10% VAT is India, no european country charges 10% and with everything that is happening in the cricket, i'd be worried ;D

Go halfway down this link to see what countries charge what

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax#VAT_registered

TM BILL

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 05:26:12 pm »
VAT is a pommy creation another bullshit tax somthing to do with the common market  ::) dont get me started on that shit ( thats why to my huge benefit and you Antipodeians loss i am an Honary Atipodeian )  :)

GST is a NZ bullshit tax ( somthing to do with Maroi soverntey ) but who gives a shit its still the best little country in the world  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please excuse spelling been drinking while cogetating on weather to realease my YZ 125A to Nathan  :D I know its going to a good home but like all the kids you cant wait for them to F%#K O*# but when they have gone you miss em  :'(

Tony T

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:36:39 pm »
I know its going to a good home but like all the kids you cant wait for them to F%#K O*# but when they have gone you miss em  :'(

You're dead right with that one, Bill. There's many a bike I wish I still had now, but sold cos I didn't ride it enough or needed the cash for something else.  :(  But I reckon you can trust Nathan to give it a good home.
btw Don't drink and eBay. I always end up buying stuff I don't really need and pay too much to boot.
Last time it was a car................  ::)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:16:49 pm »
 I beleave that unless the auction states that GST isnt included in the winning price then it cant be added on. Most auctions dont have gst unless its a new item being sold by a business.

Bill, ya better sell the YZ125A ta Nathan, at least he will ride it ;) unless ya want me ta cyber ride it ;)  ;D ;D

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer