Author Topic: EVO regs question...  (Read 6887 times)

mainline

Re: EVO regs question...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »
Is the part you want to use from an evo legal bike? It's that simple.

as stated in answer #1 ;)

not wanting to start another 10 page thread on this, but how much more simple can it be?

Offline pmcburney

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »

not wanting to start another 10 page thread on this, but how much more simple can it be?

I get it.

Just trying to get a feel for how it plays out in the real world - at the track, as opposed to in the 'rule' book.

Just because you've set your bike up to the absolute letter does not mean someone next to you hasn't, and gets through.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:38 pm »

I get it.

Just trying to get a feel for how it plays out in the real world - at the track, as opposed to in the 'rule' book.

Just because you've set your bike up to the absolute letter does not mean someone next to you hasn't, and gets through.
The Evo police are very sharp at the track!!

mainline

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:24 pm »
It's not that, I wouldn't know something wasn't kosher unless you told me. And I really don't have a prob with tinkering with stuff to make it better. It's just that I think the evo class is pretty simple rule-wise

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
OEM, now this is where our great mate Magoo would enter.

cheers

Offline pmcburney

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 11:20:18 am »
Ok, so YZ/IT stuff is legit in EVO.

Does anyone know whether said YZ/IT brake plate can be modified or will fit straight in the KTM front hub, or will I have to source a YZ/IT hub/wheel?

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »
worms how true is that!! it was his pet hate and i think he would of pushed thru a rule change if he was arounded.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 05:07:18 pm »
The yamaha brakes are 130mm diameter. They can be modified to a certain degree but because they are magnesium, it makes welding on them not so easy. Im not sure if all the honda ones magnesium either. Suzukis are. I suggest hoping on ebay and loking at some photos of some brake plates. Even just buy a Yamaha one, once you have it in the flesh you will know if you can make it work or not. If its no good, dont worry guys on here are always looking for those brakes and you can re sell it on here easy. Another option is to turn a single leading brake into a twin leading by adding an extra pivot and arm. It can be done, by either changing or modifying the shoes & adding a secton piviot cam and modifying the cams. There is info on the web how to do it and i have seen it done on bikes before. Going to do it myself infact.

Also be aware there are 2 different Yamaha TLS brakes for YZ/IT. One is harder to get than the other
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:09:40 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pmcburney

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 09:01:42 am »
the best cheap fix is to take the wheel and brake to a brake place and get them to do a set of shoes in soft or woven linings arc'ed to your wheel. this will cost you about $40. All brake and clutch in rocklea if you are in Bris. we dont ride the old ones enough to bed in ebc or other after market shoes.
A beefy brake cable and an extended arm on the backing plate will also work wonders
If thats not good enough for you then look at the yamaha hub(the best for sure)

Thanks for that - I'll give these guys a call.

At least I won't have to look like Popeye to get my front brake to work.

I have managed to track down a TLS Yamaha plate. When it arrives I'll attempt to fit it up to the OEM KTM hub and see how it goes as well.

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 08:09:59 am »
PM sent about a good original KTM front brake in race service now . No Hydraulics attached.
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:21 am »
Not to get too technical, but not all Yamaha TLS brakes are evo legal. :)
You need to get the backing plate with the brake stay lug is on about a 45 degree angle to the ground, in '82 (pre 85 era) they changed the lug position to be paralell to the ground.