Author Topic: 84 ktm mx 250 parts book  (Read 7422 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 84 ktm mx 250 parts book
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
I use VHT engine enamels you can get from Repco....blast it first to make sure it's got something to grip too and after painting cook it in the oven or use a heat gun to cure the paint hard.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »
I have an 87 250 enduro that did the same thing with the waterpump and had the Devcon fix. One school of thought has been to use straight water ( no coolant) to stop this happening again. Probably no good on a long trailride but for a few vmx laps or a bit of a paddockbash this may not be a problem. Any thoughts on the coolant/no coolant question.?
i read somewere that the corrosion can be caused from cavitation from the impeller not just from the coolant anyone have thoughts or views on this?
ktm mx250 84 finished finally now time to ride

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:34 pm »
That can be true but if you bleed it right you shouldnt have any worries and the paint will help here by protecting the metal.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 10:36:26 pm »
Nick,
      I have a photocopy of an 85 250 parts manual courtesy of Denis Myers that is the same in the motor but differs in the radiator shrouds and the linkage set up. If you can't find an 84 copy you cane get the 85 one from me. I had the same problem with the crank/water pump seal. I don't think Devcon likes the coolant as it goes mushy after a year or two. I will have to check mine before i go riding again to see what it is like. Perhaps you can Devcon the seal ring up and machine it out and live with the enevitable rot. Have you got the seal for it as they can be hard to get.

Cheers Bill

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »
Nick,
      I have a photocopy of an 85 250 parts manual courtesy of Denis Myers that is the same in the motor but differs in the radiator shrouds and the linkage set up. If you can't find an 84 copy you cane get the 85 one from me. I had the same problem with the crank/water pump seal. I don't think Devcon likes the coolant as it goes mushy after a year or two. I will have to check mine before i go riding again to see what it is like. Perhaps you can Devcon the seal ring up and machine it out and live with the enevitable rot. Have you got the seal for it as they can be hard to get.

Cheers Bill
hey bill thanks for the offer

i purchased a manual from boltons and should recieve this week ;D

when i can find out the part number i will try and puchase a seal .the cover was most damaged and leaking from the section that the plastic outlet pipe bolts on to but there is a lot of corrosion present around the seal and inlet pipe

might look at buying a heap of gaskets and dump the ccolant when not in use
thanks nick

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »
There are different grades of Devcon.There is a grade that is made for constant imersion in water. Before you do your case repairs make sure you are using the right Devcon. 

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »
Thanks for that insight Moto. You still can learn something new every day.

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 09:52:41 pm »
Nick
     Pretty sure clutch cover is the same from 83 to 86. All sould be 543 part numbers. My impeller connects to the crankshaft so the other one is probably from a newer model.

Bill

Offline nick840

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 06:20:16 am »
Nick
     Pretty sure clutch cover is the same from 83 to 86. All sould be 543 part numbers. My impeller connects to the crankshaft so the other one is probably from a newer model.

Bill
thanks  oz