Author Topic: 81/82 Maico Hydraulic Clutch  (Read 9956 times)

firko

Re: 81/82 Maico Hydraulic Clutch
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:38 am »
If your clutch is set up correctly you shouldn't need one. I've got arthritis and all of my Maicos have two finger operation, like Micks.

davo

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 09:02:24 am »
i wish some one would post how to set one up correctly as i read the maico madness article ,had stacker do the clutch motor originally put new plates, in had the basket machined of ridges,measured the washers tried the willsmith spring and it was still heavy , the hydralic lever made it a lot better but its still harder than some others like drakes one , i was told there is a trick to altering the actuale rod thingo that pushes on the clutch itself in the case , 

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 09:15:37 am »
i wish some one would post how to set one up correctly as i read the maico madness article ,had stacker do the clutch motor originally put new plates, in had the basket machined of ridges,measured the washers tried the willsmith spring and it was still heavy , the hydralic lever made it a lot better but its still harder than some others like drakes one , i was told there is a trick to altering the actuale rod thingo that pushes on the clutch itself in the case , 

davo you have to learn the secret hand shake first
last time mick showed the secret to a good maico clutch to some one who shall remain nameless the said person then went on tell tell all that would listen the he in fact had  worked it out them selves,(right mick) ;)

firko

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 09:40:50 am »
last time mick showed the secret to a good maico clutch to some one who shall remain nameless
Not me 8) The great Per Klitland showed me and it's all about using a good teflon lined heavy gauge cable routed the simplest route which means swapping the front wheel around and making a new brake stay with the cable locater in the correct place, de-burring the clutch basket, making sure all of your plates are dead flat, and using different length actuater levers until you get the right feel. I can't remember which I used on my squarie at the moment but I'll have a look a bit later when I get home.

On top of what Per showed me, I use a Magnum forged basket in all of my early Maicos as the old fabricated basket flexes all over the place causing all sorts of problems, especially when they're old and fatigued. I recently moved over to Barnett Kevlar plates but can't report on their usefulness as the old squarie shit itself before I had a chance to try them.
The stacking of the Belville washers is critical as well, I have two different stacking orders which for some reason work in different engines. I don't understand why.

The funny thing with Maico clutches and gearboxes in general is that once you're up and moving you seldom need the clutch. The trans is buylletproof and can easily handle clutchless up and downshifts all day long. When I pulled the old squarie down the gears and dogs scrubbed up like new. For that reason alone I can't see much need for hydraulics.

maicoman

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:42 am »
Has anyone tried a offset clutch lever from Ballards? I've seen one on a mates IT490 and it is much better than standard. I fitted a set of heavy duty Barnett plates and springs in my SC490, it was still heavy as expected but with a actuating lever extension it was much better. I'm not sure that you can extend the lever on a earlier 490 being a cast lever.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:40:39 am »
A “perfect” Maico clutch will only come from making every part of the “clutch system” perfect. We need to accurately determine the condition of every component as we go. If we short cut any part of it, we will cheat ourselves of the best possible clutch.

Like everything we “rebuilt”, we must determine its mechanical condition as we tear it down, so we can “raise” an accurate parts list as we go. The following bike is as purchased and needs maintenance and clutch mods. It can be the “tear down model”.

1)   TEST THE CABLE. I prefer to start with a new high quality Teflon lined cable. Don’t judge the one you already have by how shinny it looks, TEST IT. I have several varying lengths of aluminium angle in my toolbox to use for this test.

I use this to "Block" cable movement at the engine end.

Then apply pressure to the handlebar clutch lever. If it is rock solid, it is OK.

If your clutch lever can be squeezed in and out and feels like operating one of these excersise springs ??? Discard the cable.

That will be because mishandling has stretched the “outer cable” and it is now behaving like a long compression spring.

Outer cables are usually stretched because some try to remove and fit them by yanking at them like this.

or like this

I treat all my cables as though they have the fragility of a carbon pile high tension lead. I always unload the tension from the inner cable first, by doing this.

Somewhere lurking I have a special tool I made for doing this. But I am sure you get the idea anyhow. If Ji were here, he would have one knocked up in no time.
Obviously testing and treating your front brake cable like this is also the first step in creating a brake that will happily launch you over the bars. Some say Maico front brakes are shit as well, more BS.

I am leaving on a prior commitment now for a few days. Whoohoo. I will finish posting the tear down and rebuild of our dirty  model when I return.

Have a good one. Cheers, Mick.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:19:43 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

opfermanmotors

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 08:38:15 am »
I added a hydraulic clutch to my 1983 Maico 490.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5utBVqu6Q

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:48 am »
Has anyone tried a offset clutch lever from Ballards? I've seen one on a mates IT490 and it is much better than standard. I fitted a set of heavy duty Barnett plates and springs in my SC490, it was still heavy as expected but with a actuating lever extension it was much better. I'm not sure that you can extend the lever on a earlier 490 being a cast lever.
Brooksie,
I've had one, and they can make the clutch pull as light as a 125, although on the lightest setting there was abit of drag, as the "throw" on the arm is reduced, although this could have been caused by the cheap flexxy lever bracket. Get a quality unit and the problem may very well go away.