Author Topic: Some help needed please  (Read 1961 times)

smarty2011

Some help needed please
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:11 pm »
I have a 1980 PE 175 T, and on the weekend I have damaged the motor some how. Riding along and all of a sudden a heap of spoke just bellowed out of the exhaust, after doing some inspections it seems that the gearbox oil was being burnt. Also the exhaust was red hot that the expansion chamber went white just near the head.
It will still start and doesn't make any funny noises, but at the same time it will not idle.
I think the main seal may have blown, which means split the casings, or would it just be the rings?

Any help would be great.

Cheers
mark

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Some help needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:10:49 pm »
Sounds like the rhs main seal or the actual gasket mounting surfaces if your loosing gear oil with no external oil leaks. If the seals have never ever been replaced then it sounds like now is the time for the engine to have a birthday before any serious damage has been done.
What Oil ratio are you using? have you checked your ignition timing? sounds like some overheating probs there.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:25 pm »
You haven't damaged the motor they are pretty bullet proof but the seals don't last forever pity that the right hand isn't changable without spliting cases the left is so easy to change you will probably find that your bottom end bearing might have play any way so might be a good chance to freshen up the motor and it will be right for another 30 years. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

smarty2011

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input as I thought I may have done some damage.
The funny thing is my boys kept ridding it and the old boy kept pulling.
On the serioud note, I was running 32:1 fuel/oil ratio and I haven't checked the timimg at all.
What is the best ratio?
How do I check the timing?
As I would expect, I will rebuild that beaut little motor as I have all new plastics and decals to go on it and my intention is to do a vinmoto.
Not a bad buy as I paid only $200 for it.
I would appreciate more input if anyone has any>
Once again, thank you very much.
Cheers
Mark

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:23:28 pm »
Well you should be running 20:1 (as per the manual) in the PE or maybe 25:1 at worst. Theres no way on earth i would use any less oil than that. if your getting plug fouling, and a tone of oil and smoke out the back on 20:1 then there is a problem elsewhere, its not the oil. I have seen plenty of bikes that run fine on 20:1, hardly smoke and do not have a lot of black dribble out the pipe.

There are quite a few good topics on oil ratios on here that you will find a lot of stuff out about and learn a lot. i suggeset looking back through the 'tech tips' board on this forum. Those oil threads will answer most of your questions.

How do i check the timing?

Well first you should get some manuals for the bike, They tell you how to do it in there and give the specs. Its pointeless trying to work on a bike which is new to you and you dont have any knowledge or info on the bike. If you have manuals it will save asking a lot of questions. they are free to download aswell and cost nothing unless you want a hard copy. I dont know how knoweledgeable you are. Do you know the basics how to set a dial guage up on the piston and a degree wheel on the crank and all that? thats the only real accurate way to do it.

One other thing you will need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off. You can get them from any bike shop who deals with www.mcsonline.com.au & contact them for your nearest dealer) or you can find the pullers on ebay, www.denniskirk.com and i reckon www.repairmanual.com has them plus many other online accessory shops. You can also make them if you want as its just a flat plate and a couple bolts and  a center screwing bit. I should also point out that you can do some serious damage if your timing is out. Seen that happen on a PE before.

Its always worthwhile to check everything out on a bike you just bought because you really have no idea who has fiddled with it and mucked around with certain things.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:35:40 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:43:41 pm »
I bet he put ethanol in it...

smarty2011

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:36 am »
Hi fellas,
Thanks again for the indepth info. As you asked, am I knowledgable at all, I am when it comes to mechanics, but not knowing this bike I will have a look at downloading or buying the manual for it.
As for the fuel, I always run premium as the same with my boys bikes. I had seen on other formums that I should run 20:1, but also read 32:1 is better. I will take the advice and run the 20:1 next time.
As for using guages and dials, I would not have a clue how to do this, so do I need to take it to someone or can I do this from the manual?
Once I get time I will start to pull the motor down and get the ball rolling.
Just one more question.
Can I buy a rebuild kit IE: seals,bearing etc and who would be able to assist me in this?
Cheers

ranchak

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:58:59 am »
We have seals, gaskets, bearings and other goodies for your PE175.

www.anchakandsons.com

Thanks guys, Ron

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:24 am »
You got to trust that suzuki knew best when deciding on 20:1, if they said 32:1 then fair enough but they didn'nt. I dont believe that 32:1 is suitable for a suzuki aircooled motor. 20:1 will produce more power and longer engine life and thats a fact. Dont listen to what anyone says on modern dirt bike forums as most will strongly obect to 20:1 and think that the same ratio they run in their modern water cooled KTM's or what ever will be suitable for an old air cooled motor. Again , if you havent read the oil ratio debate threads on here, then i strongly recommend doing that.

Timing with a dial guage/degree wheel is pretty straight forward. If its not specificially in the manual if will be readily availble on a website somewhere if you just google 'how to set the timing on a 2 stroke' or something like that. You could do it without a dial gauge an use a set of vertiers using the depth guage aswell. You would find degree wheels online that you can print off and glue to abit of cardboard. Luke has them on his site.

smarty2011

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:57 pm »
Thanks Ron, just had a look at your site, very interesting.
regards
Mark