Author Topic: Maico 490 forks - some help needed!  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Bruno1969

• Novice
    • View Profile
Maico 490 forks - some help needed!
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:25:12 pm »
Hi all,

Can any one help with some set up info in regard to the forks on my '82 490 (which, outwardly at least), seem to be identical to 81 forks.

Currently running fairly heavy fork oil (17.5 w) - i cant remember the quantity but it seemed a fairly large amount ( maybe 500ml, if not more). Not running any air or gas in the forks at all.

I dont know if this is even CLOSE to right. The forks have a full stroke of movement - but it does seems that the compression (and probably rebound too) is overly damped. The front end feels very vague, especially on hard pack turns and quite harsh on the bumps.

Is this the result of too too heavy a oil weight? Too much oil? Not enough air / gas etc?

As it is I have brought two farms - luckily at slow speeeds with the front washing out.

What say you gurus?

Cheers

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Maico 490 forks - some help needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »
More than likely the forks have too much compression damping now. I ran 10 or 12.5 weight oil 120mm from the top of the forks with the forks compressed and springs removed.
I also used stiffer fork springs rather than trying to make them firmer through thicker oil. If you can't get harder springs run 10lbs of air with the standard springs.

Offline Bruno1969

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:23:53 pm »
Thanks Johnny,

Will give that a go - it can only be better than the set up I have now.

Bit sceptical about the forks actually keeping the air in as the sealing arrangements (fork seal and o ring on the cap) look a bit primitive to me!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:01:20 pm »
They should hold air ok as long as the o'ring on the cap is in good condition.

East Coast Maico

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:32 am »
i would also check you dont have too much preload on the forks . We run about 4MM preload. In the states, lots of guys run 20 WT. Belray. Alot could also depend if your dampening rods have been modified.
Bill