Author Topic: Another Newby  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
Another Newby
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »
Hi Gang
some 20+ yrs after I last tasted the dust & dirt (is it called roost now??), I recently acquired a
1983 CR250RD (ex youngpup).
I'm based in Canberra and when it cools down I plan to get in some practice at Captains Flat and Yass to see if the body is as keen as the mind is. All going well, I'd then like to get along to a Fairburn meet sometime.
Long ago I raced MX in N/E VIC during the late 70's.
You guys sure seem to know your bikes and have a lot of fun. Hope you don't mind me stinging you on a few Q's & tips. I'm also in the market for a few parts and an owners manual for this model.
Look forward to catching up with y'all.
cheers
Woody   

[attachment deleted by admin]
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
Re: Another Newby
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »
Welcome Woody
I am also in Canberra and just returning to the dirt.
Currently re-assembling my 1977 Yamaha IT250 that I picked up at last weekends Goulburn swap meet.
Did you get the Queanbeyan bike? 
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:00:53 pm »
Good to see you on board, Woody. And it'll be good to have another player in the classics class at Fairbairn too. Youngpup's CR went pretty good there in 07, so you should have fun. I was at Captain's Flat yesterday, testing my 75 RM125M, which actually went very well. I had a couple of laps around the outside track with a young guy there on a late model RM125 (05?), and after that we had a chat. He reckoned the old RM was a bit faster than he'd expected and wanted to know what it was like. I told him bloody hard work... I was totally stuffed but he hadn't raised a sweat... but I didn't let him know that!

Apparently the guy who owns CF is willing to rent it out through the week for $200, which means if we could get 4-5 of us with a day free we could go have a whole day's practice... worth thinking about I reckon.

Anyways, hope to see you at the track.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »
Apparently the guy who owns CF is willing to rent it out through the week for $200, which means if we could get 4-5 of us with a day free we could go have a whole day's practice... worth thinking about I reckon.

Bring it on.

Woody, if/when you go out to Full Bore, gimme a yell and I'll join you.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:24:39 am »
How did you get to be Woody

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gerpster

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:24 pm »
Hey Woody,
Greg here in canberra as well. For the uninitiated what is out at CF?
If I get the TS185 going I wouldnt mind having a blat as well....
Cheers...
Greg.

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:25:59 pm »
cheers guys
mboddy, good luck with the IT, you can see by my signature this is my 1st non-yamaha

graeme M, great site. got me onto youngpups bike in the 1st place. gee, imagine a mid-week CF VMX race meet?
Q. is there still a 'legal' riding area at Tharwa?

nathanS, cheers. too shy to let you witness my first run back?, but will certainly let you know when I'm out yass way.

mx250, I got a woody when I came accross this gif on the net and thought i'd share it.

gerpster, hi, good luck with the TS. i haven't actually been out to CF yet, maybe Graeme M can fill us in on the details.
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:23:29 pm »
Warning: Old info ahead!

CF has two MX-ish tracks - the inner one is a pretty good tack, but has a lot of jumps, including some very VMX-unfriendly monsters, the outer track is kinda more like a loop of fire-road, with a few fun bits.

There's also a fair bit of enduro/trail type stuff.

Yass is better, but is always dusty...
One little jump filled track;
one huge (long, brutal) MX track that the owner seems intent on ruining by putting more and more big jumps in (to be fair, most of 'em can be either jumped by old bikes, or ridden around), and best of all:
a grass track.

Plus heaps of enduro single track.

Dickhead-factor seems lower at Yass than CF: Probably because the dickheads mostly spend their time on the little super-cross-ish track, so I don't encounter them?

Nothing to be shy about: You haven't seen me ride yet!  ;) :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:50:24 am »
Where exactly is the Yass track?
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:24 am »
Nathan's right about CF. It's not great, but OK as somewhere to go for a ride that is not too far away, tho I am keen to try Yass sometime too.

CF has an MX track, very dry and dusty, very bumpy and the jumps are all doubles, which I avoid like the plague. The outer track is fastish and OK but no more than 1 km long. There are a collection of trails that can be ridden also, though all quite short. It's alwasy pretty busy too, tho early Sunday AM, or Sat PM, is not too bad. By lunchtime Sunday it's time to go home...

I use CF as a place to run in engines, or just get some seat time. That said, I don't get there all that often. It's $20 to ride all day.

We should try to organise a ride there or at Yass sometime, maybe when everyone has a bike that's going!

gerpster

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the info for us newbies..... :)

Yass sounds pretty good...yeh maybe a local OzVMX meet out there one day would be excellent!!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »
Full Bore is about 5kms off the Hume Hwy, between Yass and Gunning. It's off Lade Vale Rd, if people want to get with the Google maps.