Author Topic: Fitting seat covers  (Read 1004 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fitting seat covers
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »
Just bought a replacement seat cover from ebay, question is How's the best way to go about it.
I've had a couple of dummy runs, but can't seem to get it right.
Is there a sequenced order things need to happen in? ???

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Fitting seat covers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:14 pm »
Contact adhesive helps to hold it tight. You can pick up cheap staple guns from most hardware stores.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »
Lay the cover in the sun before even attempting to fit it.
Then work from one end going from side to side.

DR

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »
a hair dryer can help smooth things out also. 30 minutes in the sun was recommended in the instructions supplied to me with the 3 or so covers I've had from different manufacturers ;)

DR

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:01:56 pm »
with no scanner or camera this is the best I can do..word for word from the last cover I received ;)

Tools Needed. Screwdriver, Pliers, Staple Gun (that uses 3/16 or smaller staples)

** Note the seat cover will fit better when it is warm.

This is especially important with materials such as diamond plate vinyl. Leaving it in a warm place or using your hair dryer helps warm it up so that it stretches well. Be careful not to melt the vinyl.

1. Find a clean hard surface to work on. Remove the old cover and staples.

2. Using a staple gun, attach the seat cover to the front and back of the seat first. Apply light pressure to smooth out any wrinkles. The material is stretchy and will accomodate light stretching.

3. Next, secure the corner of each side. The cover is meant to fit tight to avoid wrinkling. Continue to work your way around the seat smoothing and stretching as needed. Trim any excess, if neccessary with a hobby knife.

Sounds simple eh..personally I still have bulk problems with the covers too but others make it look so easy ::) ;)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »
If you just cant get it right take it to a bike upholsterer and they will do it for you for about $20. That was the best $20 I ever spent after pissing about for ages with no success on the last resto ;D ;D ;D  Sometimes they will fit great other times you just seem to battle and battle.  Pays to have the foam in good nick also or else the defects can show through the vinyl. Can recommend John Moorhouse out at Capallaba.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE