Author Topic: 76-77 RM250's what are they like?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
76-77 RM250's what are they like?
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:33:40 pm »
Have always liked the look of the pre 78 rm's, but what are they like?
If I was to pick up a dunger what problems should I be looking for?
Not particularly interested in anything other than the stock units.

Any help would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: 76-77 RM250's what are they like?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »
Mate i had a rm 250A, nice bike. good feel to ride seems lite but what is it with RM's and hitting neutral between all gears except 1st and second?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:16:54 pm »
1- Swingarms rusted out where the axle locating plate attaches to the body of the swingarm on the underside.
2- Frame rusted out where the footpegs mount up. Also check the sidestand mounting plate.
3- Rear wheel hub flogged out with loose bearings
4- Butchered fixing holes/threads for the mounting of the exhaust flange on the cylinder.
5- The obvious one, cylinder on it's last oversize
6- Non standard RM or year specific parts (ie: forks were rooted & replaced with PE or later RM parts)
7- Main bearings that have flogged out the cases.
8- The main Suzuki disease, welded gear and kickstarter shafts
9- If the gear lever is not welded the check the chain has not worn through the shaft.
10- Badly corroded & dented fuel tanks
Plastics, rear shocks, seat cover/foam & consumables are easy, they just cost $'s
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:31:26 am »
1- Swingarms rusted out where the axle locating plate attaches to the body of the swingarm on the underside.
2- Frame rusted out where the footpegs mount up. Also check the sidestand mounting plate.
3- Rear wheel hub flogged out with loose bearings
4- Butchered fixing holes/threads for the mounting of the exhaust flange on the cylinder.
5- The obvious one, cylinder on it's last oversize
6- Non standard RM or year specific parts (ie: forks were rooted & replaced with PE or later RM parts)
7- Main bearings that have flogged out the cases.
8- The main Suzuki disease, welded gear and kickstarter shafts
9- If the gear lever is not welded the check the chain has not worn through the shaft.
10- Badly corroded & dented fuel tanks
Plastics, rear shocks, seat cover/foam & consumables are easy, they just cost $'s

I used to like Suzi's but after seeing 'The List' I'm not so sure! :P Are you trying to put people off buying them Bahnzy so you can have them all to yourself? :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:46:56 am »
77 KTM's were the privateers weapon of choice in the world GP's and filled the first 3 spots that year.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:36:58 pm »
I used to like Suzi's but after seeing 'The List' I'm not so sure! :P Are you trying to put people off buying them Bahnzy so you can have them all to yourself? :D

Are you trying to put people off buying them Bahnzy so you can have them all to yourself? - YEP!
Seriously, i have been burnt with nearly all those points. If they are obvious then it is a recoverable situation, If they have had the dodgy brothers have a crack at fixing them then you have double the work.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn