Author Topic: Can-Am fork/front wheel ID.  (Read 1492 times)

firko

Can-Am fork/front wheel ID.
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:42:48 pm »
About a year ago I bought the below front end off Marks Swapmeet. It was sold to me as a Betor Can-Am front end....no other information. The forks are most definitely Mexican Betors and the conical hub looks like a TNT/MX2 style conical item, probably off an enduro model as it has a speedo drive, the backing plate is marked Bombardier. What throws me is the steel rim. I once owned a TNT175 and I recall it having alloy rims, am I mistaken? Is this a TNT front end? If so can anybody identify the model please?

I would like to use these on my pre 65 project but the rulebook states specifically states "late type Ceriani and Betor (Can-Am) are not permitted". Are these the "late type" forks mentioned? The sliders don't appear to be any longer than my legal period Betor and Cerianis. 

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: Can-Am fork/front wheel ID.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »
definatly can am firko looks tnt
not sure about the rim
wheres jc he will know
follow me to first turn

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:55:34 pm »
The wheel and forks are TnT. Steel rim sees it 74-76. Ally rims started on the 75 MX2 and didn't get going until later 76/77 on TnT's These would be 'earlier' forks. Later Betors were longer travel, no guard lugs and had a reinforcing rib front and back of the slider.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:09:49 pm by Canam370 »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:21 am »
they are ok mark.its the longer sliders that are the ones not leagle.if you want i think i have some std betor sliders you could swap out for your ones i am useing 2 sets on my pre78 and pre 75 flattrackers
the front wheel def not pre 65
jim

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:18:02 am »
The wheel and forks are TnT. Steel rim sees it 74-76. Ally rims started on the 75 MX2 and didn't get going until later 76/77 on TnT's These would be 'earlier' forks. Later Betors were longer travel, no guard lugs and had a reinforcing rib front and back of the slider.

IMHO Paul's nailed it precisely - as I would have expected. (He's our resident Canam expert) The sliders for the later longer travel Canam forks w the reinforcing ribs are considerably longer (about 2").

firko

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:59:46 pm »
Thanks Gentlemen.....I knew I would get a definitive answer from the brains trust. I can now stick 'em on my pre 65 and not have to worry about the rule nazis nailing me. I'm not sure the clamps are legal for pre 65 though. I advised Jason from this forum that the twin pinch bolt triple clamps might not be kosher for his upcoming pre 65 Metisse and Dave Tanner backed my opinion. I'd love someone to convince me that I was wrong and that they're OK for pre 65 ;D