Author Topic: Pre 75 Fork improver kit  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 75 Fork improver kit
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:20 pm »
Won by Iainyz it goes with the thermo kit I have
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline cr4ever

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:36:39 pm »
Ian, there is a spectacular photograph here in SA of Chris Wigzell (#44 aka Johnny Fogwell) on a MX250B in 1976? ( my memory is not so good and i've lost all my old programs) in mid-air over a fast jump just after turn 1 at Acusa Park track 2. ( I think it was the very first meeting on Track 2, the jump is not there any more, it's a flat creek crossing over a pipe). In the photo his front fork sliders have become detached and the front wheel and sliders are hanging by the brake cable. After a very nasty landing he received a broken shoulder among other things (basically a career ending injury), and is really feeling the effects now. Failure of the fork kit was judged to be the cause. His brother John Wigzell ( RIP) had an identical bike which was sold soon after to Vic Haddow, and though he was strongly advised to remove the kit he chose to leave it there. Sure enough, come Snake Gully and the notorious downhill staircase section the same thing happened whilst he was leading a 250 C grade race. His injuries were not as serious as Chris's but he still spent the day in hospital and had a wrecked wheel and forks to replace. Sorry its none of my business but I suggest you should check it out very carefully before fitting......especially now that kit is 35 years older.....

mx250

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:39 pm »
Ian, there is a spectacular photograph here in SA of Chris Wigzell (#44 aka Johnny Fogwell) on a MX250B in 1976? ( my memory is not so good and i've lost all my old programs) in mid-air over a fast jump just after turn 1 at Acusa Park track 2. ( I think it was the very first meeting on Track 2, the jump is not there any more, it's a flat creek crossing over a pipe). In the photo his front fork sliders have become detached and the front wheel and sliders are hanging by the brake cable. After a very nasty landing he received a broken shoulder among other things (basically a career ending injury), and is really feeling the effects now. Failure of the fork kit was judged to be the cause. His brother John Wigzell ( RIP) had an identical bike which was sold soon after to Vic Haddow, and though he was strongly advised to remove the kit he chose to leave it there. Sure enough, come Snake Gully and the notorious downhill staircase section the same thing happened whilst he was leading a 250 C grade race. His injuries were not as serious as Chris's but he still spent the day in hospital and had a wrecked wheel and forks to replace. Sorry its none of my business but I suggest you should check it out very carefully before fitting......especially now that kit is 35 years older.....
Yeah I did the same at Mulbring - and woke up in the ambo and spent a night in Kurri Kurri hospital (for observations - if ya gunna be stupid ya gotta be tough ;) ;D).

But it wasn't the fault of the kit - it was good old bugalugs muggins - me, amateur mechanic. It was nature's way of teaching me that circlips have a right way and a wrong way to be inserted. Being a 50-50 choice I put one side in the right way and one side in the wrong way ::). One of the qualified engineers/better mechanic here might like to reaffirm the lesson but I think it is the sharp edge goes downwards.

I learnt the lesson and run them for years in a series of bikes trail riding and enduro'ing.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:13 am »
Thank for the info gents I'll make shore on the circlips as this old carcus has had to many trips in the white bus already. have you noticed that all hospitals have the same celing panels ,just an observation Ive made while laying on gurnies.
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club