Author Topic: powder coat removal  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: powder coat removal
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 03:02:51 pm »
IF its only just been pwdersoated why cant they lay a new colour over the top ??? get it re powdercoated an new shade of Black.

You can't powder coat over powder coat as you will lift cured powder when it is baked.

However there is hope, popular with custom Harley builders is to powder coat close to the color you want and then sand and over paint the powder coat in two pack. It is used to give very smooth finish on frames and covers up small chips.
formerly Marc.com

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 04:07:48 pm »
My powder coater says you can re-coat new or newish powder coat without any drama's. He did a spring the wrong color and just coated over it. When I asked, he said there wouldn't be a problem, and there hasn't been so far. I use powder coat as a primer/filler all the time. It's way easier and cheaper if you cost your labor & materials when you sand blast, prime & sand a frame, Very labor intensive, very time consuming. Just scuff the powdercoat with some scotchbrite, a couple of nice coats of 2K and you're done.
Cheers,
K

STW996

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 03:05:14 pm »
Paul, I do powder coating.

Burning is the only real way to get it off but, You can sandblast but will take for ever and it is not cheap

If it is only new powder coat you can top coat straight over what is there.

When I do my own frames I undercoat with a zinc coat first that seals it (to stop rusting) and then top coat over it.

It can be recoated a number of times, only issue is if you get to thick it will cheap off easier.

When they do it it is best to bake the frame hot and then pull it out and recoat will still hot, there is no issue with the colours running together, I have coated yellow over black without any issue.