Author Topic: CR480 Guru needed.  (Read 4080 times)

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
CR480 Guru needed.
« on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:46 am »
We have just put new clutch plates in a 1982 480. Old ones measured 2.5mm thick new ones 2.95mm. Now the clutch is out of adjustment. Clutch arm moves to far before it contacts. There is no provision to adjust  the slack. Do they use a spacer in with the ball bearing and push rod. Has to  be a way to take up slack???? ???

kaw440

Re: CR480 Guru needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:02 am »
You will need the right thickness plates as with the new ones the clutch pack is now to wide and there will be to much end flote on the clutch rod get the right plates this will fix the problem dont let a shop sell you late model plates they are to thick

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:08 am »
Clutch was slipping. presumed plates worn. What thickness should they be, I do not have a manual?

DR

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:49 am »
2.95mm sounds pretty right, I have the MCS catalogue in front of me and it lists thickness as 3mm. CP23 is the MCS part number. I remember having a similar problem on a 480 years ago. The bike was a basketcase needing a new output shaft. When we assembled it the clutch pushrod was too short. We looked at everything and couldn't figure it out, at the time I worked at city wreckers and simply found another rod of suitable length. Maybe the original plates are meant to be around 2.75mm, this could obviously account for the extra length needed when multiplied by 7 plates. Just a thought, is the pressure plate holding the clutch pack firmly/tight? Maybe the pressure plate isn't seated properly?

exploded veiw

courtesy of cmsnl.com

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:47:28 pm »
Thanks for info. Pressure plate is firm on plates. I may have to put a spacer in behind ball bearing. ???

DR

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:05:04 pm »
Can't see any problem using a spacer, provided it's fitted into lifter properly it can't go anywhere :-\

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »
I think that is the only way around it. My Yamaha's have a adjuster on basket which is real simple.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:55:37 pm »
Make sure the outer cover (10) is located properly. It can be miss aligned a fraction and hold it out. Does it have an original type clutch cable? It also has an adjustment in the cable .

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:59:05 am »
Thanks 090. The first time we assembled it we had the cover wrong, but it is on correctly now. But the clutch arm needs to move to far for cable to take up adjustment. The plates must be to thick as this should not happen. A longer rod is what is needed, but a spacer will have to do. Cant send plates back as they have been oiled and came from USA.