Author Topic: George watson,father of chris watson  (Read 4854 times)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
George watson,father of chris watson
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
I have been doing some gyprocking work at chris watons parents place this week.
I have know chris for the last 15 years or so and seeing his pround parents of his motor cycle career and there shrine of him in there home this week, Hes is a slider  8)

His father george sadly is very sick and bed ridin .he was a dirt track racer in the days  with old side cars etc english bikes.
There lounge room has a lot of large black and white framed photos of georges racing days .

I did meet george six years ago at his place after i brought a bike of chris and a real nice guy and a bike lover
Its sad way of life getting old
,some may rember him hes in his late 70s,
I just throught i would put good word out there for a old dirt track timer
 cessnock nsw

Curly3

Re: George watson,father of chris watson
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »
Mick, without a doubt George is definitely one of Short Circuit's legends.
He was the gun on a sidecar for a long time and don't worry he could ride a slider pretty bloody good to.
I've known he hasn't been very well for a while now and every time I hear or see his name I fear the worst.
Glad he's still with us, not surprised though because he was one of the toughest.
Pass on regards from the Askew family, he'll know.
Steve
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:11:02 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:36 pm »
Georgie Watson ,.... great bloke and a great champion. I knew George back in the '70's. He was great mates with Harry Rowe , my dad's best mate (Ron Eastham)
  Georgie's race #30 Chris'#30. Harry's#29 mine#29. I'll put up a pic of George at Griffith '75 soon      Kind regards,  Mark Eastham

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
George is a tough old bugger so I sincerely hope he can call on that inner toughness to beat whatever's ailing him.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:48:01 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »
George is actually one of the few to put brother Carl through the Mulga, normally the other way round.
It was around 1970, Easter short circuit meeting at Orange.
Carl's never forgotten it, I remember it because he moaned the whole way home, a long trip back then.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:37:53 pm »
Its good to know george was know by a few members on the forum,
that would make his day for sure 8)   
He had some cool large black and white photos etc on the lounge room walls of him self and son chris and a couple of phill lovett
Chris still has the 30 plate slider29
its not looking good for george hes been given months untill he heads to sliding heaven  :'(
He had a collection of matchless , nortons , triumphs and old trucks, but chris has got the bikes to use in his cafe museum he builing next to his bike shop so it will be good to see some day.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:40:03 am »
    Back in the mid 70's my big bro (taka 100) and i were in the same club as george (wallsend in newcastle)we were having a clubday out at i think mulbring or Mt sugarloaf  , at one stage threw the day george ,greg primmer,and keith davies (all club members) had Chris watson down on a grass flat giving him his first ride on one of their Godden's ,(i think he was riding a YZ 80 at that stage)  i remember thinking what a great start having three legends of that calibre in your corner - As history tells chris did'nt disappoint anybody - ;)

Taka 100

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:07 am »
the schooners at the racecourse hotel later were the best i have ever tasted , black beer at its finest hour , man we were fast at the bar ,that deeksey and lenny dont get in a shout with them that'll bring you unstuck faster than a chair without a swinger in the first corner at kempsey , wonk.  love that club , sending out big ones for you george and your family , branchy

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »
Chris Watson 2011 ADB Awards - Hall Of Fame - Now involved in the Burt Monroe Beach Classic NZ - Congradulations !!
Best is in the West !!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »
 I remember George being at all the open dirt track meets that I went to in the'good old days'
 He wouldn't know me but he made a lasting impression with the outfits. One of the names you always expected to see on the programme and in the results.  Kind regards,
 Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:47:17 am »
Sadly I just rec'd news from Lyndel Butler that George passed away over the weekend.
He really was one tuff cookie and will be sadly missed.
Regards to Chris and family.
RIP George.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »
He was one of the old school dirt track guys thats for sure
He traveled all over the country side racing  with son chris , and over seas ,
while i was working at his place his wife margaret told me some good old storys, what george got up to in the old days racing and towns he went.
He will be sadly missed by wife margaret and family ....rest in peace george....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:49:47 pm by mick25 »

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:33 am »
For anyone who may be interested in attending George's funeral, Paul Caslick posted this information on Facebook;

"We will say goodbye to George Watson on Friday at St Johns Anglican Church, 8 Westcott Street Cessnock at 11am, afterwards at Potters Tavern."

Cheers
Shaun

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:54 am »
     RIP George , It was a pleasure to have met him ! Condolences to the family

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 11:43:54 am »
He was a gnarly old bugger but a legend just the same.  RIP George.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha