Author Topic: A good case for knead-it?  (Read 5384 times)

oldfart

Re: A good case for knead-it?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 06:49:33 pm »
Hope it turns out for the good and you will be riding the old girl - come the weekend  :)

DR

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »
I agree with GMC in the fact I wouldn't think of using JB weld or other liquid steels for this sort of application. I might swear by 2 min. Araldite for carb body or metal fuel tank repairs or outer case cracks but this is entirely different and much more critical. When the base gasket on my 400 simply blew it went straight to full noise and I shit! IF the repair let go I imagine some nasty shit could happen internally as well as in your pants :D glad to see you're having it welded Tony..at least now you can relax and ride it with a little more confidence ;)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:13 pm »
Also make sure the welder "vee's" the area out so it gets full penetration and becomes a complete piece again.
If he just lays a weld around the outside surface then it will be a waste of time.
It looks a bit like the previous weld didn't have full penetration leaving a weak spot under the weld.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 05:25:11 am »
He had a good look & said veeing it out would be much easier now the liner is out & that most of the welding would be with the TIG as I'd expect with possibly a small bit of MIG at the front where the flange meets the main body restricting torch access. Have to ring him at 3ish to check on progress

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
Cost $130 for a really nice job, flange is going to need building up some as it drops away around .2mm which I was hoping wouldn't happen.
Looked good with a straight edge but after tidying up the welds inside I ran a DTI across the flange to check that everything was flat in case more work was needed, much easier with the sleeve out
Photos of the barrel after welding are in CZ forum

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 11:30:59 pm »
It was always going to warp after welding an inevitable fact of life especialy on one side. Just skim it on the lathe? One thing is odd that your sleeve 'fell' out after being heated to 200C? That wouldn't indicate much of an interference fit.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 05:20:41 am »
Can't just skim the base without having to make some form of spacer, will see about getting it built up & try to source another cylinder as a permanent replacement
Both cylinders that I took the sleeve out of were the same, will measure up when I get to work & see just how much the interference is