Author Topic: Maico Slider  (Read 1374 times)

TT

Maico Slider
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:54:35 pm »
This photo was supposedly taken at a British Maico dealer in the early 70's.

Question: Is this a genuine Maico product or did the dealer in question make it himself?

btw Click the photo for a bigger version.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:02:25 pm by Tony T »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Maico Slider
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:03:03 pm »
its possibly a elstar frame ,.firko?

firko

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:47:53 pm »
Yeah it's definitely an Elstar. Back in the seventies when grass track racing held more importance than it does now, many of the manufacturers made their engines available to grass track framemakers in loose tie up deals. Hagon-Bultaco, Hagon Yamaha here in Australia and Elstar Maico were some of the more popular tie ins. You could buy a brand new Maico Elstar from your local Maico dealer in the UK. Maicos were also associated with Antig frames a bit later on. I have an Antig I hope to have up and running with a square barrel 250 once the other projects are out of the way.

TT

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:11:23 pm »
Thanks fellas.
So, would they be rare or expensive to build?

firko

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:28:33 pm »
No more than any other resto Tony....in fact they're simpler and seeing that you don't need to have them in factory perfect trim, they're pretty easy to restore. Finding them's another matter. Because there weren't so many compared to factory produced MX ers, they're a bit thin on the ground. When they do come up though they're not all that expensive. You can often pick up a roller for around $500-1000.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:31:16 pm by firko »

TT

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »
I should clarify that I'm not actually looking at building or buying one.
I'm just starting to turn into a bit of a 'Firko' and getting into all this cool history stuff.  :D