Author Topic: 84' KX500 Plastics  (Read 2329 times)

AUS613

84' KX500 Plastics
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »
Have tried a forum search but have not found the answer to my questions so I thought I would throw it up here.

Recently bought a 84' KX500 in fairly good original condition and am looking at starting to restoring it to it's former glory.
Searched the web for plastic kits and have come up with DC Plastics in the states.
My questions are, what is the quality like in fitment, durability and colour of these plastics and also are there any other plastic manufacturers out there to look at for this model.

Any help on this subject greatly appreciated

Thanks ahead

AUS613

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: 84' KX500 Plastics
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:31 pm »
Get your plastics from Nightmare Racing in the US. I have them on my '84 500 and they are top quality, much better than DC.

AUS613

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:40 pm »
Thanks for your extremely quick reply  :o  will look them up.

AUS613

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:21:15 pm »
Yep Nightmare Racing make the best aftermarket plastics.  The DC ones are hideous - I have a set if you are interested. I refuse to put them on my bike.  There is also a fibreglass guy at phillip island who makes a nice rear fender - http://www.prixhistoric.com.au/

cheers
steve

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »
From my experience.
The front guard is still available from Kawasaki. Stick with the OEM one for the front. Whilst it is not an exact of the 83/84 unit (as it has been superseded along the way) but its pretty close. For “RACE” plastics go with the DC ones, they aren’t the best fit but they are cheap. For the “RESTO” or “SHOW & SHINE” go with Nightmare.

Too many people give DC an unfair kick in the guts. Yes they aren’t the best fit & finish but they work and in my experience with my 83 KX500 & 84 RM125 they are reasonably durable. If it wasn’t for them there would be a lot of bikes that wouldn’t be on the track in ½ reasonable condition. Also got to say that there customer service has been good from day one. Whilst I hear grumbles about the product, I have yet to hear a bad word about their service.

I use them and will continue to do so with the knowledge that they are going to provide a bit of extra work to fit and they may not look as good as some of the other suppliers but, ...... they are priced accordingly.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

AUS613

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:21:37 pm »
Thanks for the info guy's, greatly appreciated, pretty much answered all my questions. Good to know the quality of the reproductions mirrors the cost, will be looking at a set of plastics for doing the odd race with and also a quality set for display in the corner of my private Kawasaki museum  ;D.

Cheers AUS613