Author Topic: World Title  (Read 1645 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
World Title
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:37 am »
The 2010 SPEA FIM Trial World Championship will come to a close in Kramolin, Czech Republic this weekend and in doing so will bring the curtain down on the thirty fifth edition of the series.
2010 Champion Toni Bou

Three and a half decades have passed since the first FIM Trial World Championship started proper back in 1975, with Toni Bou - Repsol Montesa being the latest FIM Trial World Champion to join the thirteen other riders who have previously won the title over its long history.

Britain's Martin Lampkin - Bultaco was the first person to collect this prestigious crown in the mid seventies and continues to be a part of the current championship acting as a minder to his son Dougie who was later to follow in his father's tyre marks. Martin's reign was important, but only brief as Yjro Vesterinen - Bultaco begun his three year domination. The Finnish rider was to take the title in 1976, 1977 and 1978 as the series and riders begun a new era of professionalism.

Vesterinen still remains amongst an elite group of riders who have won the championship on more than one occasion. The trophy was to change rapidly over the coming years as Bernie Schreiber - Bultaco claimed yet another title for the Spanish manufacturer in 1979 before losing out to Ulf Karlson - Montesa from Sweden a year later. Frenchman Giles Burgat - SWM made it three different winners in three years as he snatched the title in 1981.

The eighties were dominated by two riders, with Belgium's Eddy Lejeune - Honda HRC recording three championships in a row - 1982, 1983 and 1984 - to equal Vesterinen's feat. His arch rival Thierry Michaud - Fantic was eventually to get his turn at the top of the table as he won three titles for the Italian factory during 1985, 1986 and 1988 to become the first rider ever to reclaim his crown after having lost it.

One of the championship's best ever riders was to emerge during the later part of the same decade, with the young Spanish hotshot Jordi Tarres - Beta bringing a new style of riding to the series. Over the next nine years Tarres would be only interrupted twice, once by Michaud and another time by Tommi Ahvala - Aprilia 1992 - as he notched up an incredible seven titles to firmly put himself in the history books.

Marc Colomer - Montesa was the man to bring Tarres' reign to a close in 1996 as he collected his team's second only title after a long sixteen year wait. Unfortunately for Colomer, he was to be sandwiched between two greats as Dougie Lampkin - Beta begun to show his true potential. Twenty two years after his father's victory, Dougie began his unequalled run of seven wins in a row to match and beat Tarres' record all in one go. With this dominance Dougie rightly became the new legend of Trial.

Lampkin's then team mate Takahisa Fujinami - Montesa was the man to take over at the top in 2004, as he became Japan's second only ever off road FIM World Champion. Adam Raga - Gas Gas then secured back to back titles in 2005 and 2006 before being over shadowed by the new force of modern Trial, his name being Toni Bou - Repsol Montesa.

2010 saw Bou claim his fourth successive SPEA FIM Trial World Championship, this year's crown coming with one round to spare. With age on his side, the twenty three year old supremo now looks a real threat to the records set by Tarres and Lampkin. Whilst his latest title is already in the bag, Bou will arrive in the Czech Republic looking to close the season in style by taking his eighth win of the campaign.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:05:19 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Montesa
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:10 am »
Montesa Honda and Toni Bou have agreed to extend the contract that has kept them together since 2007, until the end of the 2012 season.

During this time, Toni Bou has increased his track record with eight Trial World Championship titles (four outdoor and the other four indoor) and five Spanish Championship titles (four of which were in the indoor category), as well as becoming a member of the team that has won the last four editions of the Trial des Nations.

With Toni Bou's help, Montesa has grown its record of victories in World Championship events to 143 and has won the last four editions of the world championship as manufacturer. Montesa is highly satisfied to continue its relationship with Toni Bou, born on October 17th, 1986 in Piera (Barcelona), a sportsman who is able and willing to continue offering new victories for this company.

Koji Maehara, President of Montesa Honda S.A. said, "Toni is the best trial rider in the world and we knew that the year his contract was to finish, he would be tempted by most of the other manufacturers competing in the Trial World Championship. Therefore, I'm proud that Toni has again trusted in Montesa and our commitment to continue developing the 4-stroke technology that has given us our latest world titles in the speciality".

Bou said, "To know I'm going to continue another two years as a Montesa rider gives me peace of mind and makes me happy. This is where I've achieved my eight world titles and there is nothing to stop me aspiring for more. I love the bike I'm competing with and I feel completely backed by a highly professional team. It's logical that when everything around me works perfectly, there is absolutely no reason to think about a change".

Best is in the West !!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: World Title
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:41:01 pm »
I'm not surprised he's resigned with them, no one else have the money that montesa does due to being owned by honda. Rumour is that montesa hasn't produced a single bike since 08 & have a stockpile of unsold bikes sitting in spain that they change the stickers on each year to try & get rid of them
Toni Bou's bike is a true factory bike with nothing being common to the production bike