Author Topic: pe shifter shaft repair  (Read 1567 times)

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
pe shifter shaft repair
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:17:20 am »
Hi there. Can the gear shift shaft on my pe250c be replaced without splitting the case? Typical spline wear issue, but a good runner apart from that. Would hate to do a major right now. :(

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: pe shifter shaft repair
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
I would like Dodgee or Doc to agree, but all the suzuki gearboxes I have ever seen have the gear shift shaft running right through the cases.

To replace the shaft you remove the clutch side case, then the clutch and basket and then you can simply slide the shaft out from that side.

I would have to take a look at one of my engines, to confirm. But I am 99.9% sure you don't have to split the cases.

Good luck finding a good runner…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »
Yea, it's easy peezzy but from memory you have to lift the engine up for the shaft to come out past the R/H footpeg....doh!...so it's exhaust off, carby off, bla, bla. You can still buy new shafts from Suzuki and if you want a trick alloy gearlever with a folding tip get one off a 83?RM250...P/N 25600-14321...dont forget the seal....I love doing Suzuki's cause most of the shit is still available!!!   cheers big ears. :)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »
And also remember to put a nylon sleeve between lever and cases ......or you will punch a hole it your clutch cover next time you fall off.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 07:34:56 am »
........or you could just leave the shaft in and weld the lever on ::) ::)

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:48:40 am »
Thanks for all the advice, i will be ratting through the wreckers looking for a shift shaft or i saw a couple on ebay. I probably should pull the engine out anyway and clean it up properly, but it runs quite nice as it is. Chuck on a rear tyre and away we go! :D I did think about welding it on evo550, but just couldnt do it.
You may remember me asking about the xt550 with it465 suspension? I have all the bits to do it now, soon as the PE is done i will start on that. So i may give you another call!
Cheers, Shane