Author Topic: RM250T Front Brake Hub  (Read 2649 times)

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
RM250T Front Brake Hub
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »
Hey Guys

First ride on my new/old RM250T on the weekend, Great to be back on board after 8 months off due to a stuffed shoulder. Bike went great, me not so good..... anyhow...

Got home adjustings some bits and pieces and 1/2 the lug that holds the front brake cable adjuster broke off!! Damm it. >:(
I recall guys bronzing a break of this type back in the day on the magnesium hub???

What would you guys suggest? Do I need to source a new plate? Are NOS available? Should I try to get someone to Braze it? Anybody got one?? Any help would be great.

Regards Lawesy
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: RM250T Front Brake Hub
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:04:52 pm »
Machine off area where lug is so its flush
Drill a hole where lug is and thread it
machine a new lug with a female thread on the back to match tapped hole in plate
screw new lug into brake plate. Use Loctite if you wish
then fit a half nut and wave or spring lock washer to female thread of lug on inside of plate. Just use what ever you have room for so the nut doesnt foul with shoes.
You can also pin the the lug with a little dowl  next to the female thread if you make the lug so it has room for one and if you think it might still spin/turn.
Then you can build up the area where the lug meets the plate with body filler so it looks all smooth and rounded and just like its been cast.
Re-paint with black paint of our choice.

Many old english bikes use a screw in brake cable lug that screws into the plate and is retained by a thin half nut and a lock washer of some sort on the inside on the plate behind the shoes.

I have a broken lug on a TLS RM plate and this is how i planned to fix it.

And this shows it roughly fitted and how you can fill in the area around it with body filler or fibreglass resin or whatever to build it up and blend the 2 togther to make it look like its all original.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:21:24 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:59 pm »
Scott you could probably buy one on Ebay US pretty easily, there's a few on there now to suit the '79 front hub but i think they are a different size. 250 and 400T are the same.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:43 am »
Geez LWC82PE
Sure looks like that would be a great fix, well out of my expertise unfortunatley.

I will try the lazy mans option of trying to replace it first. God bless Ebay.
Many of the US sites are still listing the NOS part as avaialble.... will have to see if this is true or not.

If not, I will be off to a machine shop to see what can be done.

Thanks for the info
SLAWESY
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:29:06 am »
Slawesy, I reckon I have a PE Front Brake Plate that will fit your RM. The cable lug mod has been carried out previously. From memory, it is a quite a well made steel lug replacing the broken original. In any case, you are welcome to have it. I suppose you could just use the PE Plate as is or trasfer the lug to your Plate in the way Lieth describes. This is a common thing to discover as many bikes I have owned or seen have this very same repair. I will check it out tonight, I know it is at the very bottom of the parts box somewhere.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:37:47 am »
Rocketfrog
That would be unreal if you could check it out for me. Will PM you tomorrow after you have a chance to have a look at it.
Regards

SLAWESY
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »
Slawsey,
I had a look this arvo, but it got dark too quick. Will have another look tomorrow, at least I now know where not to look. It is there somewhere.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

mainline

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »
did the lug just "break off" or was it damaged when you stuffed it up the inside of that poor defenceless lady who was learning to ride at the kids and ladies practice day? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »
Mate, I cant find that brake plate for love nor money. I will get back to you if it turns up.

Offline crabO

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:42:34 pm »
Have just done up a 250 T and got lots of new genuine Suzuki parts from bikebandit.com \ surprisingly cheap and quick delivery. I am sure they had backing plates.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 05:43:29 pm »
All Good thanks guys, got one in mint condition from the US, shit I luv this exchange rate
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"