Author Topic: Drive chain. RK, DiD izumi. ?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Drive chain. RK, DiD izumi. ?
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
Hi Chain experts, I'am about to put on a new chain on my CR 500 Husky and was wondering what is the go now days to mainy brands and to mainy codes  X ring, O ring, No ring, HD VMX WREX  and so on,  so what is every one using ?  HL

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Drive chain. RK, DiD izumi. ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
DID or EK are good, as well as other brands.

In general terms HD just means thicker side plates but its still a non o-ring/x-ring chain

You would want a o-ring or x-ring chain. X-rings are just a bit better at sealing out the crap.

Just found out on Wednesday that DID are stopping making o-ring chains. Thats what the rep told me anyway. They are only going to be doing the X-ring instead.

Chains with no sealing rings tend to stretch easy and get tight & loose spots. When they get like that they become impossible to adjust and set up properly and being a HL, that is criticle as the swingarms usually bend down a lot and the chain wraps over the pivot a lot on those.

x and o-ring chains obviously do cost more but they are worth it. I only use the non sealed chains on the old english stuff mainly because the bikes dont go on dirt and you cant fit wider HD or x/o ring chains on them anyway because they are too wide and also heavy enough that they rob too much power from the engine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:10:56 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:23 PM »
It pays to shop around, I went to AMX in melbourne two weeks ago and got a DID gold X-ring chain,520 size ,120 link for $99,these are usuall $199.

cheers Dale.

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:08 AM »
I am on a team that races a Formula 500 speedway cars and we run a Yamaha R6 motor in it and it has a DID x-ring chain and believe me it gets a hard time on the track.We can run all season with it and usually replace it at the start of a new season.Of course we spend a lot of time inspecting the chain,cleaning ,Adjusting and use lots of oil on the chain .
If the chain can take the punishment we give it then surly the DID chain can handle anything a CR500 Husky can dish out . ;D
Cheers.
P.S. If DID are interested in sponsoring us please call  ::)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:47:32 AM »
I have been running a cheapo EONFINE X ring chain bought on Ebay for $75 for the past two seasons on the XT500 that I ride in Reliability trials. The chain has copped a heap of abuse, lots of riding in muddy conditions etc, but I have only had to adjust the chain once in during those two years. Of course the chain is maintained properly, being removed, cleaned and relubed after every event. I have been quite impressed with the chain and will continue to use this brand on the XT and other bike that I have.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »
I only use DID chains, you can check the wear characteristics and tensile strength in a catalogue at any good bikeshop.....remember, a quality chain is not going to be cheap, but then smashed cases, damaged swingarm, sprockets/ hubs are alot more expensive....and harder to buy. I also find DID chains dont wear the sprockets very much. Good maintainance is the key also and I usually replace the chain after a hard season or two depending on how much riding the bike has done.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

DR

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
Have 'always' run RK, Izumi, Tsubaki or DID and never in my life have I snapped a chain..must ride like a pussy eh :D

bottom line, cheap chains are a risk I wouldn't chance ;)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 08:36:18 AM »
All the well known brands are pretty good, i've been using a heavy duty RK gold chain on a few of my bikes and they've been good. I don't run o'ring chains on my vintage bikes, you can feel the extra drag when lubing the chain.

All Things 414

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
This is a good non O-ring D.I.D. chain Henry. The O ring/X ring chains definatly drag a lot more.... :-\

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »
Wow what a can of worms I have opend, its good to see a healthy debate for a change. Thanks to every ones opinoin,  and of course your as well Ross.
I will go onto Ebay and see if I can find a good deal.  HL

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
This is a good non O-ring D.I.D. chain Henry. The O ring/X ring chains definatly drag a lot more.... :-\

They do soak up few HP by being very heavy
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
Never had any drama with any of the brand-name chains. While there might be better/better value product out there, I have no doubt that any of the brand name chains will do the job beautifully.

Actually some of my bikes run the cheap and nasty Bizz-branded chains from that guy who advertises tyre & chain deals in Just Bikes (Aardvark Trading?!?), and they've caused me absolutely no drama (despite my initial nervousness!). They even seem to last about as well as the brand-name non-O-ring chains. That nervousness of mine means that I only put them on the lower powered bikes, but even the 428 version on the YZ125C is holding up great.
I did get one cheap o-ring from the same bloke and I never used it - straight out of the packet, it had loose and tight spots and generally failed to fill me with confidence.

The whole "O-ring chains suck too much power" is a crock of poop, as far as I can tell. Given the weight difference and increased friction as a percentage of what it takes to make a dirt bike move foward, you'd be looking a something like 0.05% loss - and anyone who can honestly say that they can feel even 1% power loss on a dirt bike is dreaming.
And remember that in a MX racing situation, most bikes are able to spin the rear wheel at will - meaning that you've got 'too much' power anyhow and losing a bit doesn't hurt.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.