Author Topic: Trophy cull  (Read 1607 times)

All Things 414

Trophy cull
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »
It's time for a trophy cull.
The wifes squash and golf trophies had to be thinned out a few years ago and now Uncle Fred's wedding pics and the four hundred portraits of the In-laws kids are being pushed around by these little gold guys, chuckin' one-handed monos on what looks like a heap of CRF150s. They're takin' over......

In all honesty (and this is in no way a shot at Viper or the commitee) do we really need trophies at the end of each race meeting? Yeah the kids love it when they're hoarding them but do us 40 yrs+ guys really need 'em?

Of course prize-money'd be great but I can hear the wails of concerned people protesting that we'd be racing for sheep-stations (I do already) so I doubt that'd get a look in.

So how about a prize pool of money that could be donated to the charity of choice by the top three riders of each class at the years end? $400 first, $200 second and $50 third or whatever money there-abouts (as well as an end of year trophy) that the rider could donate to a cancer charity, lost dogs home or retired gay pirate mutual fund. Whatever your choice of registered charity.
And if we wanna be selfish it could be for those amounts in goods from a bike shop or something like that.

Or just plough the trophy money back into promoting VMX racing. ;)

I'm just gunna be sad seeing those little gold guys doing their final wheelie into a bin..... :(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:14:38 AM by All Things 414 »

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Trophy cull
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Aw c'mon ross,its ok for you being a vmx ace and tired of all your thousands of "plastic" prizes, have a heart for us vmx beginers who are still quite proud of the token trophy's........after a few beers i like to look at them sitting on me bench.......they amuse me........(notice the "on the bench" bit?)..........missus wont have em in the house!!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »
An idea for the shed..we gave the trophies back to the local club,they never got used though, kids like new bling.  8)
The below frame got used for another mx pic.
Best is in the West !!

All Things 414

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »
No 'Aces" here Rob. Just lots of block passes and keep the elbows out.... ;D
Most 'oldies' that I talk to are sick of the things. And I know a lot of them get tossed or shoved into boxes for the kids to toss once you're expired.
I believe the money spent on them could be used for better things that people would really enjoy....

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
Ethically your right Ross,I'm sure the money would be better spent elsewhere.However,we all like a bit of bling (however crappy)to take home to show "mum"...lol

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »
I was going to suggest similar to Alison
Trophy's are like photo's, they provide the memories of events you’ve been to that you may have otherwise forgotten.
But it’s not the tacky plastic, it’s the inscription that brings back the memories.
Before you throw any trophies out, take the nameplates off and stick them on the shed wall.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:25 PM »
Trophies are dust gatherers and most of them are for not really doing much.  The Junior MXers should get them (kids love a trophy) but I think they are a bit of a waste on adults.

We had the trophy cull of the century at my place.  My missus is a former top 10 world BMX racer and her collection was totally out of control.  There were easily a couple of hundred.  When we moved into our new place, we pretty much filled a skip bin with them.  The nieces & nephews got a few, and we kept the important ones like the state, nationals & worlds.  We also kept some of the interesting ones, like the No.1 plates, handcarved ones and trophies with weather barometers built into them.  Everything else got flung.  The bloody things are still all over the place though..

My piss poor collection of kart racing, junior mx club titles, a couple of VIPER & VCM class trophies take pride of place in my dad's shed.  I'm too ashamed to bring my crappy collection home to compete with the BMX bandit..  :-[   ;D

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 06:21:59 AM »
Good idea I have trophys that are in boxs etc last year I donated a few to the club for the juniors but I think I will make up one of those frames and give all the dust collectors to the club

cheers
Fatboy