Author Topic: CR 250 frame differences 73 to 74?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
CR 250 frame differences 73 to 74?
« on: August 13, 2010, 04:21:27 am »
I can see the swing arm and rear shock placement are different -- and the engine is "angled" a bit differently -- are any other differences? (and for all I know they may be different in every respect -- never owned either of them)

firko

Re: CR 250 frame differences 73 to 74?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:42:54 am »
I wasn't aware of any differences between the '73 and '74 frames. The '75 model though is a different situation. Are you sure you don't mean the difference between '74 and '75 frames?

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »
OK -- sorry for being so uninformed on the subject -- reason is that I have just purchased a cr250 73 model (engine no confirms a 73).

I am told that the 74 Mag has an improved motor but that it should not make much difference for someone like me who never got better than last place when in C Grade 40 years ago!

But I was wondering about the frame/suspension -- if there is a better swingarm or some frame differences that I can look into to give me that "winning edge" (say to go from last to second last!).

By the way.  Went to Blackwood last Sunday, there was a fellow on an old beat up Suzy with "L plates" (those who were there will know who I mean) he was obviously having a ball, he was really getting into it in last spot giving it everything, afterwards he had a mile wide smile.  Well, my wife said "he's really enjoying himself and he rides just like you", then after a pause she said "but he gets up of the ground when he jumps". So with her critical eye and cutting remarks I'm not sure I will let her be my "pit chick" when I hit the track again.  :)

And I'm still looking for a place to get a free download '73 manual (the one I was referred to in an earlier post looks to be for the slightly later model because for example the engine section does not show the tapered engine drive sprocket -- only the splined one.

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »
Where's Husky Pete when you need him? Now I think about it there is a difference between the MJ and MK frames so disregard my earlier sweeping statement ;D. www.huskyclub.com/vinthus.htm should tell you the differences between models.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:47:03 pm »
The '73 engine has a wider powerband then the '74 and is easier to ride for the average rider. That's my experience anyway,
I've had both.
Cheers,
K

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »

Thanks Firko,  had a look at Husky club -- as follows:

1974 Husqvarna 250 CR Mag 250 Motocross

1974 was again a milestone year for the leader of motocross competition motorcycles. The "Mag 250" was Husqvarna's ability to market to the public a true "works" caliber motorcycle. The "Mag 250" had an all magnesium engine case, reed valve intake, new swing arm with shocks moved foward, built in silencer on the expansion chamber, + more. This bike is still one of the most sought after AHRMA competition motocross bikes. It is both strikingly beautiful and quite a performer in the Sportsman classes.

This MK series Husky was the first year for the magnesium alloy, reed valve 250 engine. This model was an immediate success in the hands of privateers. Light and powerful, this model was more along the lines of of a true ultimate works motocross model that had been exclusive to 63-68 models. Mag 250 had the shock position on the swing arm moved foward, a newer generation expansion chamber with built in silencer, white plastic fenders, Akront alloy rims, and small front hub

So not clear on the frame itself, probably won't matter anyway but you know us C Graders -- always lookin' for the edge!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »
  Gippsy,gippsy gippsy MATE !!! ,i would'nt be too worried about your frame ,id be more concerned about the problems in the pits bud, good pit tootsie's are bloody hard to come by at the best of time's these days, tread lightly mate ,nothin worse than gettin off your banana chair and greasin ya own chain between moto's  ::)cheers

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:33:45 pm »
My understanding is there is no significant diff in the frame..( small brackets aside) only the swing arm shock placement is diff...the '73 was a dog of an engine...no amount of fiddling would make it quick...
Pity...first year for integrated silencer , plastic guards, small 125 size tank (still steel) ...but a real crab.. :-[

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »
Huskibul -- yeah -- always did have a problem with the old priorities  8)  The "pit crew" (if she knew she was being referred to as "pit chick" or "tootsie" it would be forever winter) is keen to see her "boy in action" so it will be a laugh all round because she has got a good sense of humour.

Watto HVA -- jees mate -- talk about punchin low -- you must be tryin' to 'psych me out before I get into action -- there can be no other reason for such a brutal put down of my new pride and joy -- you nust have been trained at the Muhamad Ali school of competition  ;D
And yes -- the seller who is doin' a bit of work for me before delivery (I'm sadly very time poor) did say the mag 74 was way better but that for a real C grader it probably will not be a problem.  All I'm interested in is reliability.  My only competition bike was a steel tanked Bultaco Lobito (read lobotomy) that I kept falling off because it was way to powerful so crab power is going to be a challenge -- I am already dreamin' of sideways passing moves  :)