Author Topic: New guy from Townsville  (Read 1782 times)

tHEtREV

New guy from Townsville
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:44:43 pm »
Hi everyone.

Well it looks like Townsville may be starting a VMX club soon, and because of my love of old dirt bikes and my love of working on them, it sounded like the thing for me.

I recently went down the Proserpine for a look at the Whitsundays Classic MX (that was me getting in everyones way with the big camera, sorry about that...) and liked what I saw.

I'm manly here to get some advice because I have no idea what I'm doing (35Yo, never raced anything in my life).

Firstly I'll be deciding on the bike, I have a 75 XL350, 75 DT250, parts I can share between an 84 XR250 and an 85 XL250, and an old 84 DT200 that looks like it's missing a fair bit.

So unfortunately as you can see, no actual VMX bikes, but I'm hoping I can modify something I have into something eligible for some class where I wont be getting in to many peoples way...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: New guy from Townsville
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »
hey welcome Townsville with a hill  ;D
...three words.....fun,slow,enjoy or maybe it should be old slow enjoy  ;D
either way welcome  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »
G'day there!
An old XL VMX'er sounds good........but I MAY be slightly biased. ::)
I was 51 and never raced!
Best thing I've ever done.....don't put it off. ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »
Best is in the West !!

Offline bigthumpa

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:17:49 pm »
Totally agree!!! I was wanting to race motocross since I was 13 but my dad said it was too dangerous!!! (methinks he was wrong, I broke more bones riding trials and trailriding than I may have riding MX). I had a life changing moment back in 2004 (read midlife crisis ?:D) and started this vmx thing, Iv'e never looked back. Now most of my friends are involved in VMX and it has given me the drive to get out of bed in the morning!!!!!!! Welcome to the VMX family!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
looks like a good bunch of bangers, if MX is a bit hard on the bod give Dirt Track a go, I guarantee you won't regret it!