Author Topic: Are You Sitting Down......  (Read 3485 times)

Doggy Digger

Re: Are You Sitting Down......
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:06:04 am »
You're not kidding, MX.   That was absolutely A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

What a stunning set of pix.   Wow upon wow.

firko

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:40:06 am »
Shit...Imagine, the GYT kit on my Cheney is worth more than the bike cost to build! All I need is a GYT head and i'll have another kit.
Can anyone enlarge on my information that there are actually three DT1/RT1 barrels (not counting reed cylinders)?
I've been informed that the MX and GYT cylinders are different. One is chrome bore, the other an iron liner but with the same porting specs. What makes me curious is that the listed cylinder and my own GYT barrels are iron bore but you often hear of chrome bore references and I'm positive my mates ex Scaysbrook DT1MX had a chrome bore.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:00 pm »
Looks like a licorice allsorts made up kit to me and the only GYT part is the barrell itself.

The head looks like a normal RT, cant see the trench on the second plug but certainly not not the GYT which is inline with a centre plug.   some of the other stuff there is plain old stock RT / Dt, enduro piston and so on,  250 pipe and a stock RT1 20mm insulator.... you think he would at least cut it in half and make it look like the proper 10mm GYT one.  ::)  Even the vented airbox looks stock but has just been tim plated up looking at the acid marks on the inside shot.

Yes Firko - That BArrell is the same as mine ( looks like the yz360A from the side, same flute layouts, no support pins etc),   and mine has that iron liner too ( maybe there was a transition to the YZA series and they punched out some chrome bore barrels for the market to see how they went ?

if someone actually paid that much there are morons out there, looks more like a fishing scam to me ;)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:17:15 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:11:38 pm »
It's funny that now Yamaha is again promoting their GYT kits for modern bikes.

The latest MXA has a story on a YZ250F that uses the latest GTY cylinder head. It costs $2750 for the head complete with cam and valves - that is 1/3 of the cost of the entire bike [and very similar to the amount the eBay seller reckons his is worth]. Thats a lot of coin to make something go as fast as it should have originally from the factory - it can't cost more to produce a cam with different profiles.

I wonder if we will be having the same discussion about this stuff in 30 years?  ???
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

firko

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:02:22 pm »
The original GYT kit was damn expensive too Jeff. Not too many could afford the whole kit, they usually opted for the pipe, a Webco head and got their local 'Dremel Master' to port their Enduro barrel. It was actually a better starting point for a decent port job and in the end you usually came out with a faster bike for a quarter of the price for a GYT kitted engine. I had a genuine factory RT1MX yellow striper with the whole caboodle kit and it didn't really get going until I fitted a Webco head and a trick enduro based barrel ported by a bloke called Bob Rayner who copied specs from an American magazine. It hammered but the extra horses made the deficiencies in the chassis design even more obvious.

I reckon you could do the same today by buying an aftermarket cam from someone like Megacycle and getting some port work by the 1970 Dremel Masters grandson. :D for a damn site less than $2750. ;)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 01:19:06 pm »
Jeff - see Mugen have also come back into bikes with after market kits for the Hondas - again as you said should be that good from the factory but then it supports the whole aftermarket cause?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

IT400C

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 01:27:48 pm »
I bought a box of magazines 10 years ago that also had some brochures in it.  As I worked my way to the bottom of the box I came across some professional photos of a GYT kit.

Off hand I can't remember which model, but there were a couple of 8"x10"'s and a proof sheet.  Looks like they were done for advertising purposes.

I'll dig them out and scan them if anyone's interested.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »
Do it..400C

Firko - did you ever right down the specs form the "american Magazine" 8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:46:52 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Doggy Digger

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »
Please do it IT400C!   I don't know much about what's genuine in the photos of this post ... but I JUST LOVE seeing photos of GYT and stripped early 1970s new Yammies.  Sexy stuff!

Please scan and post!

IT400C

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 04:34:50 pm »
okidoki - I'll dig them out this weekend.  If I can get the scanner working at home I'll post them Saturday or Sunday.  If not it'll have to wait until I get to work on Monday.....

Just did the math in my head...  I bought the box of magazines in Sydney when I lived there, so that must have been around 1992?  Bloody hell - 18 years ago! 

If I remember correctly he lived somewhere around the SCG....  Bloke had a brand new, un-used, early 70's CZ Enduro bike I tried to talk him into selling me too.  Can't remember the capacity - 250 I think.  He said there was a few that the local importer in the 70's couldn't sell, so he'd bought one in the crate, put it together, but never ridden it...

Wish I'd tried harder to talk him into selling it to me....

IT400C

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 04:41:47 pm »
may have been a mid 70's CZ - red or orange tank, and an up-pipe???