Author Topic: Help with classes and years!  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Pedro

• Novice
    • View Profile
Help with classes and years!
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
 Gday Fellas,
                 I know i might sound stupped but could you help me clarify the classes please  ::)

??? Pre 70 is only bikes built before 1970 and so on with the other classes??
    ??? What years dose evo start and finish??
    ??? What happens if i have a 1970 engine in a 1969 frame??

I know that each class has its own merrits but i also dont understand the year differences pre 70 to pre 75 = 5 years of models pre 75 to pre 78 has only 3 years of models and evo has ???  :o

Thanks Husky AU  ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:55:49 pm by Husky AU »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Help with classes and years!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »
Grab a copy of Manual Of Motorcycling Sport from Motorcycling Australia.
The rules for Classic Motocross & Dirt Track are in there- page 162.....
Below link has 27 pages of National event eligibility-most idea's should be adhered too for our future preservation.  :P
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6981.0
Best wish's and KISS (keep it simple Simon )   ;D
If all else fails, stick with anything manufactured before 31st December 1974. ;D
Best is in the West !!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:17:35 pm »
Gday Fellas,
                 I know i might sound stupped but could you help me clarify the classes please  ::)

??? Pre 70 is only bikes built before 1970 and so on with the other classes??
    ??? What years dose evo start and finish??
    ??? What happens if i have a 1970 engine in a 1969 frame??

I know that each class has its own merrits but i also dont understand the year differences pre 70 to pre 75 = 5 years of models pre 75 to pre 78 has only 3 years of models and evo has ???  :o

Thanks Husky AU  ;)
Its all fairly easy after a while. The hard bits are the bikes that are the exception to the rule so to speak.
Pre 70 to start with means just that. How ever the exceptions that I know are,
A Maico square barrel with the round engine case is still legal even though they go up to '71 ( there were no changes in the bike and are in the rules).
So some '70 frames may be okay. Best to ask if your specific frame can be used.
A cz side pipe may be a '70 model and again is legal.
The difference in eras has nothing to do with how many years, it is technical differences.
With regards to evo, some will tell you its a shite fight as it isn't as specific. But if you look at it the way the rules had been intended to be followed, there is no problem. Basically, if it doesn't fit in pre '78 then it goes in evo, provided it is air cooled and drum braked and twin shock with the exception of a non linkage yamaha as they had a mono shock. Again as in all eras, there are a few other exceptions such as a monty and a husky.
Anything water cooled,has a disc brake or linkage rear suspension goes in the pre '85 class.
Hope I didn't give you too much info as its better than bombarding you with all the 'flow on' bikes etc( bikes that are allowed in an earlier class).

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »
Warning! Broad generalisations follow!
In addition to what 090 said:

Pre-75 was designed for the bikes with 7" of front suspension travel, and 4" of rear. These were the bikes from the first boom time of MX, but had been made redundant by the longer travel bikes that started coming in in 1975. VMX began with this class (along with the older eras) because they marked the end of an era in the history of MX and the bikes were sitting around unloved.
Pre-70 was for the earlier era, basically before the Japanese made anything decent.
Pre-65 was for the era when the pommy (and occasionally Swedish) 4-strokes were the kings and there weren't really any decent 2-strokes.
Pre-78 is for the "medium travel" bikes that have more travel than the pre-75 bikes but are still disadvantaged compared to the later Evo bikes.
Evo is the category for the long travel bikes that don't have the 'modern' features like disc brakes, linkage rear suspension and water cooling.
Pre-85 is just that - these bikes are 'better' than even the Evo bikes, but still old enough to fit into the VMX world.

You'll notice that Evo is unique in being determined by technology rather than age, and it does create some messiness in the rules. But we all live with it because it works and is understood.

Bikes are generally classified on their newest major component. So if you had a 1984 frame with a 1969 motor in it, then it would be a pre-85 bike.

090 was probably right to avoid discussion about carry-over models, but I'll try to explain it simply...
Where a bike or a component that was manufactured after a particular cut-off date, but is identical (or very similar) to one made before the cut-off date, then its stupid to force the bike into a newer era. So those bikes/components are allowed as carry-over models, and are allowed to compete in the earlier class.

The other tricky bit is that some bikes are allowed as carry-over models even though the model didn't come out until after the cut off date. The Yamaha RT1 is an acceptable pre-70 bike, even though they weren't made until 1970. They're allowed in pre-70 because the technology is the same as the the pre-70 bikes and they're clearly inferior to the majority of the pre-75 bikes.

Hope that makes sense. The wording of the rules drives me insane, but the actual intent is extremely good and very close to the money (IMHO). The basic intent is to get bikes out of sheds and being used. The rules also try to get bikes racing against similar bikes to the ones they raced against when they were new.
While they're not perfect, the rules do quite a good job of acheiving these goals.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:06:18 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »
Nathan - sorry "broad generalisations" disclaimers not allowed   ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:27:04 am »
Its not really that scary/hard in practice.

Most clubs are quite relaxed in how the rules are interpreted, particularly if you've made an honest mistake.
If you've deliberately set out to bend the rules then you might get a bit of pressure, but generally its a quiet word along the lines of "You might want to change that before next time".
And besides, the worst case is that you get bumped into a newer era class.

The thing to remember is that VMXers are a friendly bunch, and we all want to see more riders and more bikes out there enjoying themselves (even though it might not always seem like it on the forums). So nobody is every going to send a newbie home from a race meet, if they've made an honest mistake.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:41:43 am »
:o :o WOW I am clearly out of my depth here  :P ::)
link to a pre nationals thread I didn't get to the 27th page but I realize just how complex the rules are and how people interpret them may vary.
Husky AU

Sorry to alarm you ,that is the National Aussie level- top end of the scale.  :-X   ;D
Where will you be playing in the dirt ??
Someone on this forum will probably be close, geographically.  8)
cheers
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:52:34 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!