Author Topic: Bana Fans  (Read 1165 times)

DR

Bana Fans
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »
Call me a little slow or backwards even ::) but I've just sat through one of the best documentaries I could relate to. It may be about a classic car and not a classic bike but the sentiments and most aspects of the film cross over and are identical. Anyone (including many on this forum) who have owned a specific bikes or cars for 20 or 30 odd years will instantly recognize the content is based on fact and truths. Oddly enough it is about a car, a model I too once owned and wished I'd never sold (mine was a green and gold Goss Special XB Coupe). One of the few things in my life I have on sold and one of my biggest mistakes thus far. They say some of the biggest mistakes are made with the best of intentions and me selling that car fits the bill to a tee.

The movie is an Eric Bana 2009 release called 'Love The Beast'. I've included a link below to a streaming version of the movie but it will suck up 600 or so Mb so watch at your own discretion (cable or broadband) or do yourself a favour and simply go hire the dvd. Just at a time when I'd been thinking of culling my fleet this comes along to change my perspective yet again. Makes me realize just why I hang onto things forever and a day and no matter what anyone says about them or their state of disrepair, in each one is an irreplaceable part of who I am :)

http://www.arb-e.com/movies/LoveTheBeast/LoveTheBeast.php

If watching the movie open the page and when the screen appears hit refresh and then go full screen. Takes a little time to buffer but it will play. Great quality too which makes it all that much better ;)

firko

Re: Bana Fans
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:56 pm »
Great film Doc. Most of us could really relate to the movie. I especially like how a big Hollywood star can still enjoy the company of the mates he grew up with and how they all have a bit of their lives tied up in that Falcon. His Dad and his love of his old T Bird is also a great side story. My life with my old Maico parallels Erics relationship with his Falcon.

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:56 pm »
Great film Doc. Most of us could really relate to the movie. I especially like how a big Hollywood star can still enjoy the company of the mates he grew up with and how they all have a bit of their lives tied up in that Falcon. His Dad and his love of his old T Bird is also a great side story. My life with my old Maico parallels Erics relationship with his Falcon.

We had a pit garage next to Eric Bana last year at the Bathurst 12 hour. He was a really nice guy very approachable and I couldn't beleive how many people had their camera's stuck in his face all weekend. On the Friday night he put on a special pre release showing of "Love the Beast" at the Bathurst Cinema for the car guys with all proceeds going to charity, unfortunatley I had an all night engine change in our Evo and missed the screening. Still haven't seen it.

Stan.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:57:12 am »
Hey Doc, he smashed the car up pretty bad, it's not far from here where they have repaired it and are currently putting a 4 link V8 supercar rear end in it to make it handle a little better. It's a cool car when you have a look at it. Talking about getting ripped, they needed a R/H rear 1/4 panel  which are like hens teeth to get hold of, anyway they found one at Toowoomba and Bana did the deal but when it arrived it wasnt what the photos showed....a rusted out peice of junk....and the guy wouldnt take it back....imagine ripping off the Incredible Hulk and getting away with it.  I dont know how the guy sleeps at night....one day....
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

DR

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:54:40 am »
yeah Davey the XB took a pounding alright. Funny enough when I owned mine at the age of 18 my then 16y/o girlfriend and here friend took it out 1 day while I was at work. She gave it too much in the gravel and when the limited slip kicked in it speared off the road and wrapped the rear left quarter around a light pole. Ironically the first pole is the first you see on the left as you drive out of the Nudgee vmx track gates at the end of Raubers road. So upset she drove home and then proceeded to crash it through the low brick fence at the front of my parents house because she couldn't see anything through her tears ::) I ran down to look at the damage which was minimal apart from a bent tie rod and draglink assy and totally wrecked lower stone tray section. Oh that's okay I thought but then I saw the rear quarter :o we fixed it up and it did many many more hard miles. I ended up swapping the car with a cooked 302 for a stack of nos FJ  Holden parts including a fibreglass tilt front and the mandatory HR disc brake front end as well as a wad of cash. The girlfriend is now long gone but I still have the FJ thankfully so not all was lost ;) incidently the XB at the time was only about 4 or 5 years old, I'd paid the piddly sum of $1000 for it. To think what it'd be worth now and the fact it eventually got crushed at Boondall wreckers never to be seen again makes the memory all the more painful ::) such is life :D