Author Topic: Kick Start lever resleeve  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Kick Start lever resleeve
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »
Would it worked just as well if you welded up with nicole bronze and then machined a new hole? rather than a sleve.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
Lozza's suggestion of holding the lever in the tool post and having a reamer in the chuck is another alternative, however we can only work with the tools we have available at the time and as Luke said a vertical slide attachment would make it easier to set-up. This method does also require additional tooling like micometer adjustable boring bar that can be mounted in the chuck, you wouldn't find many home workshops have these, a reamer is only designed to remove 0.5mm of material max. and can't be used to take out 2.5mm/side (5mm on dia).

TT5 Matt's method of using a drill in the drill press will work, but I would like to finish it off with a reamer to obtain a suitable surface finish, hole quality (roundness) and size tolerance so the sleeve fits as well as possible. Choose a nominal bore size you want to achieve then buy a HSS reamer (ie 19mm diameter) to suit, drill out to 18.5mm and ream to finish.

The boring head would be unnecessary, you can use plain cutting tools in the chuck. The hole centre was not critical dimension just the hole and bush have to be concentric.A 'D bit' would have been perfect for this application.
Yes correct drilling then reaming to final size in the go, tool post jigs are far more rigid.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »
Hoony
In this case the male end was in good condition so I didn't need to do anything to it.

If it were worn there's a couple of options, if only slightly worn you could put in in the four jaw and take a light cut to clean it up to make it round and parallel and make your sleeve to suit, or if badly worn and deformed you can weld it up and re-machine it, circlip groove and all. I've done this before and it worked well.

This is when you have to ask yourself is it worth the time and effort if new items are available for < $150.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
In my 42 odd years of working in engineering related jobs I have discovered about 400 ways to skin a cat. :)
Depending on the cat and how keen he is to be skinned. :)
You have used one of those ways with an excellent result. ;)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
Spot on Mike52, there's oddles of ways to do this job, the trick is knowing the various options and working out which can achieve the result you need with the equipment you have.