Author Topic: Kingsgrove Brickpits  (Read 2029 times)

brainfish

Kingsgrove Brickpits
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »
Hey motorheads
I grew up riding minibikes at Kingsgrove Brickpits (Sydney) back in 1972-74. It was a time of Deckson Eagles and Honda Monkeys and dreaming of owing a XR75. I could only aford a yamaha 50 stepthrough. These were some of the best days of my childhood but alas I have searched everywhere and cannot find any photos of the "brickies".
Is anyone out there with a photo or two that could be displayed on this site. My memory needs a good hit of the old times when all you worried about was getting busted by the cops for riding on the road,or getting home after the streetlights came on.

Thanks
Brian

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Kingsgrove Brickpits
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »
i also rode a few times at the oatley brick pitts now it is a tafe

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »
I rode there a fair bit as did Stephen Gall, Wayne Boatwright and the Brabham boy's, from memmory.
I'm pretty sure there is an old thread on here with a few photo's, but they may have been deleted by now.
Have a search.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:57:30 pm »
yep looks like vmxrider hung out there too..lots of Kingsgrove bricks in the search engine pages,as mentioned above by SlideRulz.  8)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=5606.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:00:57 pm »
I rode at Kingsgrove, with the Illawarra Club, on occasion, but rode almost daily at the Oatley brick pits as it was at the top of my street.

Ken

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:29:07 pm »
ken
we lived in the same part of town.it was at the top of a few streets in oatley.i lived down by neverfail bay(como bridge) not in wyong but up the top of the ridge letitia st think thats how you spell it
jim

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:16:00 am »
Hi Jim - I was in Judd Street, which backed on to the brickpits, although I was further down Judd St, opposite Renown Park.  I went to Mortdale Primary (which also backed on to the brick pits - if you kicked your football too hard in the playground it went over the cliff into the 'pit'). Ken

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 06:26:48 am »
used to play you guys in football comps in primary school also chricket.
i went to oatley ps
had a few mates that went to mortdale ps
ian heath
keith risk
hobbs brothers

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:16:33 am »
Keith Risk and Ian Heath were in my class, how about that, I was friends with both of them.  I think one of the Hobbs (Gary?) was also in my year.  I remember Keith Risk got an in-ground swimming pool in about 1968 and that was very la-de-da, at least it was for Mortdale, I didn't know anyone with an in-ground swimming pool!

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:27:55 am »
They were great days down at the Kingsgrove brickies.
We usually got there on our XR's from Bexley North/Clempton park via the stormwater drain or paddocks adjacent to them, put 50c worth of petrol in at the servo at Kingsgrove, roll down Commercial avenue then give the bikes a rev going between factories (had a cop in a mini cooper waiting for us one day) that led to a path to a gate into the back fence of the pits.
Some guys were lucky enough to live in Glamis street which backed onto the pits and could just go out through their back gate for a ride after school or anytime they liked.
Preferred the free riding (which wasn't really allowed, maybe illegal) on non club days although the club was very well run and organised. I remember they had "officials" scouting the perimeter to keep the non club ferrels away.
Conquering Black mountain hill climb was a big deal at first.
After it was shut down and developed into an industrial area we all just rode at Menai. (still do)     

Theres a facebook page with info about a 40 year reunion http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=13118.msg129720#msg129720