Author Topic: Best afermarket rear shock for 79 YZ250 F  (Read 3368 times)

JMac597

Best afermarket rear shock for 79 YZ250 F
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:07:37 pm »
If anyone has a good recommendation ofr the best rear shock for my 79 YZ250 (ohlins, Works performance etc) please let me know and where might be best to find other than evilbay..

thanks in advance

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Best afermarket rear shock for 79 YZ250 F
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »
A Fox airshock is a good option and they turn up on ebay from time to time. Ohlins would be hard to get and you can probably buy a Works Performance shock brand new in the US.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:51:30 pm »
Walter had one for sale at the HBBB for about $999. I think it was YSS.
But I don't see any mention of it on his web site: http://www.suspensionshop.org/VMX-Suzuki.php
He sold it but I didn't hear how good it was.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

JMac597

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:23 am »
A Fox airshock is a good option and they turn up on ebay from time to time. Ohlins would be hard to get and you can probably buy a Works Performance shock brand new in the US.

Thanks JohnnyO -

I found a Whitebros on evilbay just couldn't find alot of information or if anyone has used them?

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

Thanks JohnnyO -

I found a Whitebros on evilbay just couldn't find alot of information or if anyone has used them?

White Bro is a stock shock with some internal mods for more travel and more progressive rebound dampening. If the body isnt worn out they work better than stock . The res. is also an option. Ohlins dont exist for this model unless its custom made .Works is aslo avail as a full shock (very rare) or internally modded stock shock

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:07:15 am »

Thanks JohnnyO -

White Bro is a stock shock with some internal mods for more travel and more progressive rebound dampening. If the body isnt worn out they work better than stock . The res. is also an option. Ohlins dont exist for this model unless its custom made .Works is aslo avail as a full shock (very rare) or internally modded stock shock
You beat me to it moto about the white brothers shock.
The reason i said Fox shock is there were plenty around in the day. I had one on my '79 YZ400f and it was a lot better than stock.

JMac597

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:26:48 am »

Thanks JohnnyO -

thanks for the feedback and suggestions will keep an eye out for a FOX