Author Topic: Ei carb on ebay  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ei carb on ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:47:37 am »
Good buying, I paid $80 for one without the spares.   Or did I pay too much?

mx250

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:00 am »
Good buying, I paid $80 for one without the spares.   Or did I pay too much?
Did you use it to good effect? I hear different experiences with them. The best summary seems that they are the bee's knees in application that require WFO - e.g. drag racing.

But I've heard others say they can be a 'good thing' when dialed in - apparently requiring patience and detailed work. Not straight forward.

I sold one about 2 years ago thinking I would never get around to using/refining the thing.

If it goes for anything around the current $50 it will be good buying 8) - if you can get it to work ::) ;D

firko

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:09:02 pm »
I've got a mini stash of these early style flat slide carbies...a couple of Lectrons, an EI, a couple of Blue Magnums and one I've never seen before, a chrome plated 36mm Posa. I went through a bit of a craze of buying these gizmos on eBay when they were as cheap as chips ($10-$20) but stopped the madness when they started going up in price for some obscure reason.
I had Lectrons for a while on my YZ 400 and SC500 dirt track bikes and had a Blue Magnum for very short on the VB 250 Monty I owned in the USA(it was on it when I bought it) and always liked their simplicity. A mate gave me a 36mm EI that's set up on methanol a month or so ago so I may try it on a dirt track bike, maybe my upcoming Antig/Maico 250. Like Graeme indicated, they certainly do produce the HP but only in those sports that don't require a lot of throttle action like dirt track or drag racing.