Author Topic: Push rod interchanges ??  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Push rod interchanges ??
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:27 pm »
Ok last race of the day head down bum up, even leading (soz RobbyH had to add that bit  ;) and then  bang ................. chain came off and wrapped around the front sprocket, took out the clutch cover, Actuator cam, pushed a hole in the Ign cover and bent the Clutch Rod.dohhhhhh  :'(

anyhow question is this is for the Yz 360a, but the part list shows number 307-16357-00 which also looks to be the same number as the 250a, but im not sure why its not a 214 or a 275 number ? anyhow if i zedder it it only list a cross referance to a rd125 and a YD.

So the question is will a normal Rt or Dt Push rod fit and work or is there a differance there ? if there is a differanc e can i just change the push rod button on the other end to pick up any length differance ?  i know the clutch basket interchange so i cant see why the much cheaper and easier to get Dt rod wont fit ?

anyone know the correct answer here ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

Re: Push rod interchanges ??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »
Just a suggestion Freaky.....Why not straighten your rooted YZa rod and place it next to one from a DT1/RT1 and maybe one from am MX model? Surely you've got spares laying around in your stash of old Yamaha stuff?
I reckon you'd pretty quickly find the answer.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »
YEr though about that, the bent one is still in the motor here and the rest of my stuff is down there at the other joint ( like an hour away) and for this bike id rarther run a new one as i rebuilt the motor and really dont want to feed it a 30 year old one if i can help it.

It might be the only answer but i was hoping the Davey Crocket ship might have come on wiht the expose" for me,  so i could go buying online now and take it with me and start some repairs next week when im back down there. 

what i dont need to do is buy another part that will sit with all the other stuff im going to use one day. 

Pistons....... i think i could open up an ebay shop with all the ones i have here now.  its like chicks buying magazine, every time i see a cheap one i think i should buy as you never know when your going to need one or is that 8..... right  :-[
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:06:56 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:51:56 pm »
OK if i beat the crap out of it and it looks straight. i reckon it looks to be a weird size like 184mm long and 6.8mm wide.  any one able to measure up a DT or RT push rod for a basic compassion ?  cheers
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:36:47 am »
What are you doing using shit chains on YZ360A's freakhead?...write this down.....DID520MXgb, dont use anything else...it's the strongest and has the best wear resistance, at the nats last year I sold a chain to Dean Burt cause he snapped the one on his RM125C- cost him a title....They are an expensive chain but cheaper than the damage a crap one will do....and you'll finish the race. See if you can staighten it and I hope it wasn't one of those expensive rare clutch actators that got smashed. Hurry up and get my YZ125C parts.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

firko

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:23 am »
I was going to say that too John but even shit chains shouldn't come off!
I use the same DID520MX as you and the only chain problem I've had was my fault when I forgot to tighten the back axle on my 500 Maico and the wheel turned enough to derail the chain with nasty consequences. For a chain to come off it and/or the sprockets have to be worn beyond proper tolerance or something not be set up correctly on the bike. It's rarely bad luck.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:04 am »
if you want to use the cheap chains new chain every year toss the old 1.this lesson i learnt on my 500 hagon it broke the chain comming out of the top corner at nepean.the chain was 18 months old.it riped into the crankcases and tore off the inlet oil pipe.1 other tip is case savers around you sprocket.
cheers
jim

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »
Not that this is helping me with the interchange issues !!!!

Cahin was fine and complete, it was a near new chain, an original steel Yamaha one , they are bullit proof. 

The chain derailled and came off the back sproket and keep feeding through.  IT was more bad luck and a few condition that took it to where it was. 

The track had been in a shitful condition all day ( race one im sure i seen a rabbit pop out of one of the holes) so the rear was up and down all day i had noticed the chain getting some slack early and re tightened it so i know it wasnt a stretch, from what i can see as the bike came off the corner through the bumpy shit under full load the wheel loaded and unloaded the snail had worked its way around enough to let the whell move that 5mm and gave enough slack so it popped off in a condination of lean angle, slack in the ride postion in suspention unloading and general bumpy conditions.

i had fitted this complete wheel cause i was testing a tyre pattern, but i noticed later that wheel used a differant snail cam, but it had no detents in it, unlike the one the other wheel uses.  I think the torque had pulled the wheel forward during the races and caused the cam to slip enough as it had no stop to resist.     Small oversight but a big cost.

Davey i had only just taken off the Trick cover and fitted a DT1 cut down case Thank Fuc.... i see someone has one listed on ebay for buy now $499, so i think with a bend rod as the only real YZ part casuality, seeming got out of this one lightly, the Dirt track gods where smiling for once   :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:18:28 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's