Author Topic: KYB shocks  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
KYB shocks
« on: June 13, 2010, 03:03:50 pm »
After the Three Bridges Vinduro one of the shockes on my old Montesa started to leak oil. They arn't origanal Telesco they are KYB. once I wirebrushed the 43 layers of paint of them I found the numbers
       45014-104
What are they off? And can I get them rebuilt? And if so is it worth it?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: KYB shocks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:12:34 pm »
If they are off a suzuki they will have a 10 digit part number like this *****-***** plus they will have a KYB part number on them in a separate location and usually only 3 digits. if you havent got a 10 digit part number separated by a dash then i dont think they would be suzuki and they might be Kawasaki. Do you know if they are gas shocks? They are not really worth rebuilding unless you do it properly and really require them for an original resto. Otherwise for a couple hundred more or maybe even less you can a decent new or used aftermarket set. Theres usually a fair few Ohlins, Works, Marzocchis etc etc on ebay for good prices. You need to ask your self whats the intended use and long term goals for the bike and if you spend a little more now it will be a benefit in the long run.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KYB shocks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:13:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice. They are gas shocks thats why I thought they might be worth rebuilding. The bike they are on is a 76 Montesa Enduro, so I don't need anything to fancy. All its going to do is a vinduro every now and then.