Author Topic: Coolant for high magnesium content alloy  (Read 4616 times)

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant for high magnesium content alloy
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 11:16:56 am »
Paddles, the best coolant in the auto trade is BMW coolant. It was the only one that stopped the corrosion in Volvo V6's and have never done any head( corrosion ) repairs on BMW's either. It's not cheap though it's about $20 a litre.

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:54:48 pm »
so you reckon the bmw stuff hey curley. i'd heard that the red toyota stuff was also ok for magnesium but it still didn't totally stop corrosion.

i'm trying to track down some of that liquid intelligence stuff damo recommended, ballards have it for $38/litre but i've emailed the manufacturer to see if they have a distributor on the brissy northside or sunshine coast so i'll see how i go. have a look on their website if you're interested enough, it looks like the good gear and is recommended for vintage cars with pressureless cooling systems and also modern 4 stroke bikes that get frikkin hot because it's boiling point is so high at 190deg. used by ozzy isde teams too.

hey hoony, i've got some new rims and spokes to lace up for it, but once it's all put together i'll chuck up a piccy or three in the hondaphiles section
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:58:02 pm by Paddles »

cheapracer

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »
Paddles, the best coolant in the auto trade is BMW coolant.

It's neither here nor there but even BMW can't stop the mag corrosion and the latest 3.0 six cyl. engine of their's is a composite magnesium/aluminium engine (the first ever to combine the 2) - the aluminium being for the internal water jacket surfaces.