Author Topic: YZ 250/360 A or B Exhaust flange.  (Read 3590 times)

firko

YZ 250/360 A or B Exhaust flange.
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:51:04 pm »
I've got a bit of a problem that's just presented itself when I tried to fit my Pro-Form YZ360A pipe to the RT1 GYT barrel on my Cheney. It appears that the YZ-A exhaust flange diameter is larger than the earlier DT1/RT1 model, something I hadn't considered. Does anyone have a YZA flange they'd like to sell me? If so, is the pitch of the mounting holes the same? Has anyone got a photo of the YZ flange? Would another. later model flange fit?
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get out of this fix before CD7?  HELP :o

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 250/360 A or B Exhaust flange.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
YZA and B barrels have the exhaust flange as part of the actual barrel Mark, I think the trailies had a bolt on manifold......you will have to weld another spigot to the pipe....the right size....dont start another welding thread!!! ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:18:19 pm »
Firko The YZ's had a different system it was a funny spring bolt arangement and they didnt have a bolt on flange, Time to fire up the TIG or the OXY Oh the Joys of last week bike readynes
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:32:40 pm »
Mark there are a few of us in the same boat with last minute Hicups.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:12 pm »
Make a sleeve to fit over the flange is probably the easiest/best thing to do at such a late stage then have a good think about a more permanent fix when you've got more time

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:50:24 pm »
He must be out in the shed already......weld, weld, weld, cut, weld, weld, weld. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:15:22 pm »
What are you guys talking about?
There's no need to weld anything these days, just build up a new spigot on the barrel with Devcon, I hear that stuff's pretty good ::) :D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:48:03 am »
He must be out in the shed already......weld, weld, weld, cut, weld, weld, weld. 
Errrrr, not likely John. Despite how it may appear, I do have a life other than motorcycles. :D.  The rather civilised dinner party we attended in Sydneys lower Eastern Suburbs with its nice cameraderie, good wine and lamb shanks to kill for far outweighed spending a freezing, lonely Saturday night in the shed slaving over an aging pommy bike while listening to late night talk show rednecks.
Being a fan of Dr Edward DeBonos theories on lateral thinking, in the car enroute to said dinner engagement, I figured out a cure for my pipe woes without having to fire up the oxy or replace a single hacksaw blade. Instead of using the YZ pipe, I'll instead use the NOS Torque Engineering RT2MX pipe I have laying around. Of course it probably won't clear the stock RT1 head or the ARC head that's currently on the bike so I'll use the RT2MX head I got from Steve Bysouth instead and it must clear seeing that's the combo it's made for.

I'll report back later this arvo on whether my little rush of lateral thinking does the trick. ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:02:26 am by firko »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 03:40:56 pm »
YEp you got it, YZa has the mount as part of the barrell casting, the Rt1 has the 2 bolt sleeve arrangement, IF you cut it off can you send it too me, im in the process of going the other way
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:40:50 pm »
I solved the problem twice! I fitted the DT360MX head which gave more space to fit both a stock DT360MX pipe and the Torque Eng. pipe. I then tried the YZ360A pipe again, slipping the pipe over the RT1 flange which proved to be a neat fit. If I use two springs instead of the original one the pipe sits as solid as a rock so I think I'll go with the latter. I'll make an even tighter seal by wrapping a layer of muffler bandage around the flange as well.

It ain't a copybook fix but I reckon it'll work just fine. It looks right as well.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »
the standard 360YZA still needs a wrap over the barrell spigot to get it to seal properly anyway, ( i think originally it was some kind of disposable rope looking thing ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff