Author Topic: VMX in Finland.  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
VMX in Finland.
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:55:56 PM »
I've just been scrolling through the photos on the link for the Finnish VMX later this year.
There are some good photos of some classic bikes if you have the time to look.
Anyway, I came across this bloke; is he wearing a flano shirt? are the tracks lined with lavender?

I could grow to love Finland!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

mx250

Re: VMX in Finland.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »
I think its Lavender but I don't think its a flano.

More like soviet era Finish 'chic' riding jersey, as appropriate for a soviet era Czech 'chic' mx'er  :D.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »
Purple flowers??? So what we in Australia have that to ,we call it Pattersons Curse.... And real cut down Flano shirts too.. ;D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Juha Monto

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:10:04 PM »
Hi,

the rider is Timo Jarvinen on a CZ 250 1966. By the way, Timo has lived in Australia so maybe some of you might even know him. The flanell shirt is his "trademark" with a white hanky fluttering from his pocket. The flowers are not lavenders, they are called lupins (Lupinus polyphyllus). I think not many left in September, though.

You can find more pictures from a race in Heinola in 2007: http://users.rainio.org/husokki/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=34&g2_page=1

Best regards,
Juha

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:28:50 AM »
Thanks Juha, when I saw the flano I guessed he'd been to Australia... ;)
I scrolled through the photos on your link - and there you are on a Husky!
Some of the photos show a large wooden(?) grandstand in what appears to be a natural ampitheatre.
Is this the same track to be used for the race in September?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

STW996

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:02 AM »
Hey, some great shots there and check out start with the bloke on the Husky #24!! he didn't make it as in the next shot he's gone!!!!

VMX IS ALIVE EVERYWERE!!!!!!

Shane

STW996

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »
On the subject of the flano I think it was standard practice to wear one at least on practice or ride days in the 70's, have many a shot with one on!!! always red for Honda (in my case)

Shane

Juha Monto

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
Yes, the pictures (the link in my previous message) are from Heinola, the same track as will be CMdN 2008. It really is one of the best tracks that I know.

The picture of me is taken in Kavilannummi circuit in Salo. Sidecar-fans might remember that name because they have arranged World Championship rounds there. The bike is the "feared" Husqvarna CR 500 1982, called "gray bear" here. A bit too much power to handle... I don't use the original tank, it's safe in the garage. My favourite bike is my Maico 400 -74. It has also enough power and handles great.

Juha