Author Topic: PE kickstarts  (Read 1020 times)

monaro308

PE kickstarts
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
The kickstart lever is sloppy on the splines and pivot on my PE/RM project.
Its usable but something i will have to keep an eye on.
I've noticed that its a course spline type that obviously fits my splines but it looks to be a pinch bolt type thats been welded up and now used as a centre bolt type to suit the PE shaft.
Which Suzuki had the pinch type course spline?
I have a another unknown Suzuki kickstart which is a great fit and fits in the space better for the project except when it swings out,its not enough to clear the brake lever.
Any Suzi boys out there have an unloved pinch type kickstart that may fit my needs better as it takes the slack away in the splines and can also be used with cetre bolt for extra security.

oldfart

Re: PE kickstarts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
Dr 400 - 500    are course spline and have a semi curve.

DR

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »
RM250/370/400 ABC are also of pinch bolt coarse spline type as are TS250/400 but the later are quite straight and bulky not to mention chromed and pivot at the top rather than at the knuckle ala RM/PE. What diameter shaft Mario?  Can you not use a flexidisc and re-cut the pinch bolt gap or was the bolt hole and all welded up?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:18:27 PM by Doc »

monaro308

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:41:59 AM »
Hi Doc...i'll have to measure the shaft diameter in the morning,yes the split section and bolt are welded and ground back.
I only noticed that it was a pinch type when i looked on the inside wondering why there was 2 splines missing.
Sort of looked on ebay but its only a guessing game on the swing side.
I wouldn't mind a pinch type as it should prolong the spline life better.
Thanks oldfart,i'll keep that in mind.
Did any of the 80's RM's have the pinch type or was it only the centre bolt type from "N" onwards?
cheers...mario

Measured the shaft this morning and it approx 19.20mm od
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:07:41 PM by monaro308 »