Author Topic: 61 Greeves Hawkstone  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: 61 Greeves Hawkstone
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 03:45:54 pm »
nice job.

now there's a pre chamber exht  :o
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 06:56:03 am »
.I want to get $4500 NZ for her.

Market seems pretty dead, even TT500s  have started so sit round for a while, why not keep it and enjoy it.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 07:21:57 am »
John, I'll give you 4 cartons of fourXXXX, 2 blankets, a pound of tobacco, 1 rifle with 50 rounds and pay your dept to Dodgee......more than enough compensation...... Bill will be the mediator!Q ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:32 am »
To Be honest Im a bit over old bikes at the moment  :( I am going to keep some that I race and move on a few that i dont. I am going to race cars, formula hayabusa (suzuki) if I can put a deal together.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Allbrit

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:26 am »
This is a very nice looking machine, but definately not original.

The frame appears to be a 1961 24MCS but the motor is incorrect (should be a Villiers 34A, not the very early 6E or 8E) and the wheels are not correct as this model was fitted with the "paddle" hubs.
Also the petrol tank should be a polished alloy type.

Still quite an interesting machine.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Formula Hayabusa
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 11:25:53 am »
wow and it is only 52 grand for a car, I think they have a different idea of 'affordable racing' than VMXers. ;D

http://www.formulasuzuki.co.nz/Cars%20for%20Sale.html
formerly Marc.com

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 12:15:03 pm »
This is a very nice looking machine, but definately not original.

The frame appears to be a 1961 24MCS but the motor is incorrect (should be a Villiers 34A, not the very early 6E or 8E) and the wheels are not correct as this model was fitted with the "paddle" hubs.
Also the petrol tank should be a polished alloy type.

Still quite an interesting machine.
HI I had this conversation ages ago with ross .according to the frame # 61 3919 on the web it matches a 20scs scrambler wich had the 9e 197 engine that is in the bike. It was in very original cond when I got it . all bolts, nylocks etc were as standard and the mounts for the motor etc had no extrs holes or any other mounting changes. The tank is not original as the person had been trials  riding it and put a ugly little thing on it , original tank is lost to the mists of time!. Unless the backbone had been changed at some stage I believe it is as it came.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:22:50 pm by asasin »
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 02:59:28 pm »
and is is not made in India or China ----Buy Buy Buy  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Allbrit

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 11:34:29 am »
I am not trying to denegrate this machine, only to point out that it is not original.

Frame number 61-3919 is definately a 1961 24MCS machine. You can check this on www.greeves-riders.org.uk.

The motor does not look like a 9E as it has the clip on pressed aluminium flywheel cover when most 9E motors had the flywheel covered with a cast cover attached with screws.

The motor fitted is either a 6E or 8E, and it has a 3 speed gearbox, not 4 speed as fitted to most Greeves. The 6E/8E motors are from the mid 1950's.

Also "nylock" nuts? These were not used by Greeves during original assembly.

This is a good restoration that would fit with most bike collections, but the originality is not there.

Photo of a 24MCS rolling frame. Note the Greeves "paddle" brakes fitted as standard.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:58:53 am by Allbrit »

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »
Sorry train has left the station
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

firko

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »
and is is not made in India or China
Your point being Alison? You've had a couple of digs at this so I'll bite.  If you a aluding that all stuff from China and India is shit you're so far off course it's a shame. Just because Steve had a bad run with Chinese ignitions on his Honda doesn't tar everything from China with the same brush. A number of guys over here in classic road racing and VMX are using those ignitions with no problem whatsoever. The throttles, chain guides and footpegs are a quarter of the price of "American" products yet are made in the same factory. I have Chinese billet throttles and Stainless footpegs on three of my bikes. Same with my Indian handlebars. I'm not a newby to dirtbikes and can tell a decent pair of bars from a shit pair but because they happen to be made in India you automatically dismiss them without ever seeing a pair? Thats also a shame.
And in closing to indicate that it's dodgy to buy from China or India yet it's OK to buy a British 2 stroke that came with the worst ignition and electrical systems in motorcycling history and are fitted to bikes that avoided all levels of quality control because the Brits never came to grips with the concept is kinda funny. And also a shame.

Sorry for the thread deviation but I get a bit annoyed when people automatically dismiss parts because of where thery're made. Nothing personal at you either Alison or against Brit bikes, I've got some myself. I guess I'm still a tad pumped after my discussion with Ji

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 05:24:43 pm »
Not a problem at all Firko,sorry if I did a dig one too many.
Just a gentle reminder for folks not forget that we can buy local and keep it close to original,as I though that was what preserving an era was about.
Comes across on the internet all wrong sometimes hey !
Putting it in the British thread was obviously a mistake and Steven has loads of Asian/Chinese/Indian gear in his shed.
Herbal tea time
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:57 am »
Just a gentle reminder for folks not forget that we can buy local

Its getting someone local to take the slightest bit of interest. Besides local isn't really relative given that all of our bikes were produced overseas, so apart from tyres and tubes you are stuck with importing.

But I can agree Alison that it is a lottery as to what you buy from China, India, but your local dealer is also offering parts from those countries as Universal levers and bars etc.

formerly Marc.com