Author Topic: Throttle Cable ends  (Read 4139 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Throttle Cable ends
« on: April 10, 2010, 02:17:33 pm »
I was in the process of shortening a throttle cable when disaster struck.  Thinking it was the same as all the other ones I've come across I was heating the end to melt the solder that is usually holding it to the "tit" on the end.  To my horror the whole thing melted.  Any ideas what I should do ?
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

oldfart

Re: Throttle Cable ends
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »
She was an alloy end by the way it ended up as a blob. Make one out of brass ( electrical cable clamp ) filed to shape if your are in need of one asap, or they can be bought as a repair kit from a M/C store

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »
Yes Oldfart - I'd say blob would decribe it fairly well  ;D ;D
Repair kit is the way to go - I'll get one on monday.  Thanks mate  ;)

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »
or Tony,
drop into a bike shop, check out the workshop dudes and hit them up for the desired "nipple" as they should have a few in a box.
if not,
then never go back to that place ever.... :D
"flat bickie"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:35:05 am »
Is there a 'worlds best practice' for soldering nipples on, dipping or capilary and how long do you wait before touching it. I like capiliary ation, rosin cored solder and dip in water when finished.
Jesus only loves two strokes

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:20:54 am »
Battery acid (sulfiric acid ) or Bakers solder fluid , tin both surfaces - heat female end up and slide on - cool down naturaly.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:39:48 pm »
I always make sure the end of the cable is spread out after the nipple is slid on so that when it is soldered there is a wedge of solder inside the strands. This  prevents the cable pulling through the nipple. Not so important on a throttle cable but essential on a heavy clutch or for a brake cable cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »
Bought one of those emergency throttle cable repair kits for $10 today.  It has 2 end bits that attach like an electrical connector with a grub screw in the end.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  Not as good probably as the sweated on idea, but probably the best I can do as I wasn't able to track down any nipples  :-\

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »
if in brisbane sth side i have a box of nipples and other cable fittings can even put kits together

squirtmoto

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:45 pm »
watch out if it's one of those MCS ones, the grub screw stands proud of the nipple when tightened.
File it flush or it will rub on the throttle housing causing a sticking throttle. ;)
Bill.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
Farkin' lucky you told me 'cause that is exactly what it is.  Perhaps the solder on version is the better solution ??

squirtmoto

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »
The solder option will always be better, but the one you have will work fine. We use them all the time on our tours and have never had any drama's. Guys are stoked when you can fix them in the bush in a couple of minutes, keeping them riding! They reckon we're "legends" ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »
http://www.mcsonline.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=41
cables and fittings are in chapter 9
Make a shopping list and then take it your local dealer. They got nylon lined stuff aswell which was hard to get a few years back when a lot of Wholesalers stopped selling hard parts and then you had to pay big bucks for a pre made Venhill but that was no good if you had something old or oddball that needed a cable, but i kept asking the MCS rep if they can stock nylon lined outer cable and then it eventually happened. I make up cables al the time and usually need to use cleaning flux and the key is to not use too much solder that it flows through the nipple and down the cable as it makes the cable hard at that point and prone to breaking there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:58:19 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »
watch out if it's one of those MCS ones, the grub screw stands proud of the nipple when tightened.
File it flush or it will rub on the throttle housing causing a sticking throttle. ;)
Bill.

leave it as it is to decrease you lap times.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

montynut

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:44:20 pm »
Doesn't everyone silver solder cable nipples? ??? To stop silver solder capilary down the cable inner hold in vice just below nipple so that inner cable can not get hot enough to solder at that point. Slightly splay the inner cable once the nipple is on and then add silver solder flux paste but ONLY where you want the solder to flow. Silver soldering cables requires oxy to heat quickly, quench once solder has solidified. I was shown how to make cables by a guy that has been making them since the late 60's in bike shops etc. Works for me.