Author Topic: Removing tank sealer  (Read 1372 times)

firko

Removing tank sealer
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »
I thought I got a good deal when I bought an unobtainium genuine Hindall plastic tank for one of my Hindalls on eBay. Unfortunately the find of the year turned to shit when I found that the tank interior had been sealed(probably so the trick custom paint could stay on). Unfortunately it's all coming away from the inner surface of the tank. In fact, if I stick a long pair of pliers through the petrol cap hole I can pull whole sections of the rubbery crap off the inner surface.
My question is......Can sealer be removed from the inside of the tank? Or am I stuck with an unusable shelf ornament?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Removing tank sealer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »
I think you'd get it off Firko I would try http://www.bluelightningproducts.com as it is most likely blue lightning tank sealer and they should know how to remove it especially if it looks to already be flaking thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 04:54:47 pm »
what colour is it? If its that crap silvery POR15 stuff, well its almost impossible to get out :o The only stuff i could get it out with is POR15's own 'special paint stripper' and tank had to soak with that in it for several weeks. Even that stuff didnt really make it real easy to come out. it would go soft and rubbery but not disolve it much and it required lots of scraping around with sticks and shaking the tank with nuts inside it to loosen the stuff off the inside and blasting out with water. The advantage with Red/white/blue or Kreem is that you can actually get it out a lot easier. If its got blue lightening, in it im not sure how you can get that one out so if its that then i would ask the manufacturer if they can suggest what can get their liner out.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:56:49 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Blowkat

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:26 pm »
Gday firko i did a steel tank 12 months ago with KREEM tank sealer, In the instructions it said if i ever wanted to remove the sealer from the tank wash it out with ACETONE as it dissolves it, So thought it would be worth ago.