Author Topic: Air Filter Oil  (Read 2484 times)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Air Filter Oil
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:35:34 pm »
I have been using Motul air filter oil on my Husky's.  The oil seems to drip out of the air box for weeks after re-oiling when I leave the bikes for  few weeks between race days. >:( >:(
 I think I am oiling them correctly and squeezing as much excess oil out as I dare.  However it seems the clamping force of the air filter retainer is causing the oil to continue to drip out of the filter for ages and I wonder if the filters have enough oil left on them. ??? 
What is the forums experience with Motul oil and are there other brands that seem stickier or recommended.  I am sick of slipping on the blue shit on the floor! :) :)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Air Filter Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »
hey mate. yeh i have had that same problem with all filters and oil. but what i do is after squeezing out as much as possible, i put the filter in an old beach towel and keep squeezing in that. makes a difference. i have for 30 years used chainsaw chainbar oil for the filter. it has glue in it same as filter oil. 1/4 of the price. also i always put over the filter as a filter skin, a cloth swimming pool filter. the ones that go over the leaf basket for your pool. $6 for 5 at your pool shop compared to $30 for 3 at your mcycle shop.

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:50:51 pm »
Hi Kane,  thats 2 great tips.  Never heard of these B4.  Will just add by saying that I use the 2stroke oil for pre-mix.  It's thin, cheap and squezzes out well by hand.  Been doing it this way for 35 years.  It's always the last thing I do in race prep,  so there is generally not seapage,  and if there is,  it just drains down through the hole (supplied with most Jap airbox designs)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:22 pm »
I use Silkolene foam filter oil - I have NEVER seven anything that is as tacky as this stuff - basically goes on wet and a few mintues later is like spider webs - I have never had any excess dripping with it.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline rtb

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »
Hello Pez,

I have used Belray filter oil for the past 30 years and you can't fault it. Tacky as all shit and heaps better than the fancy spray on tans that come in a can.

I also run filter skins on all my bikes from my KTM 450 down to the thumpstars and they are just great.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »
The spray on stuff is for K&N gauze/cotton type filters and road bike gauze chrome/pods and not for foam dirt bike filters. You see some people use it on foam filters because its easy and they dont want to get their hands dirty ::)
I use and sell Rock oil, Unifilter and from time to time Belray filter oils. I have also used Penrite filter oil in the past. I probably use the Rock Oil one the most and i have never had any issues with it in extreme bull dust and havent had excessive dripping.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022