Author Topic: IT175G Resto  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
IT175G Resto
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:42 pm »
Way back in April 2008 I bought a rough old IT175G from a forum member for something around $300 from memory. I'd owned one of these back in 1980, and thought it was a great little bike. The only problem was a wheelie balance point somewhere past vertical which led to a few nasty moments, but by and large I have only good memories. So it was I had been wanting to get one again, especially with the whole Vinduro thing starting to gain traction.

The bike I bought was fairly straight with all original plastics in good nick except for the rear guard. It was missing a few bits, but not too bad overall. The plan was to do a simple tidy up and go ridin, but as always the best laid plans etc.

In the end, I bought a swag of NOS bits, managed to score some very nice forks and a pipe from another forum member, lucked upon an excellent airbox at a well known bike treasure trove in Yass NSW, and had the engine completely rebuilt. The latter was expensive as the cases turned out to be cracked and needed a little artful welding work, and that combined with the new piston, rings, bearings and seals added up to a fair chunk of hard earned.

So what was meant to be a quick and cheap exercise ended up taking nearly two years and more money than was wise. Still, although not a concourse resto, it IS clean and tidy and looks like the bike I remember.

Last weekend I added some premix and with one kick she fired right up. Well pleased, I took it out to a local track and managed a half hour of running in around a few nice little trails. And you know what? It's every bit as good as I remember.  I was worried that it'd feel like a bit of a soft overweight trailbike, but surprisingly it's not bad at all. The forks feel supple, the shock is good tho a tad soft, and it seems to steer quite nicely when compared to the rock hard twitchy '05 YZ125 I usually ride in the bush. The only downside is the old seat foam which is a bit too soft. The motor is good, again the comparison with the YZ125 is flattering as although it's nowhere near as fast it has good bottom end and midrange, even though back in the day they were seen as a bit peaky.

So, I am one happy camper. Now just need a vinduro somewhere near home. What's that? There's a rumour that the local club might hold one at the Canberra MX track? Fingers crossed, eh?

Here's some pics:

mainline

Re: IT175G Resto
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:23:32 pm »
looks a pearler Graeme, good to see you've already scratched the pristine sidecovers with your boots ;D

Is she coming up to Classic Dirt for a showdown with the "mighty" PE175?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:22 pm »
Nice job it is is looking very nice your tank is so shiny is it nos or just polished? The bike looks great and the vinduro's are great fun so enjoyable to ride in thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:33:03 pm »
Looks better in the photos. The sidecovers are as original, scratches and all. Just polished. The tank and front guard were all chalky and faded - it's just hours of scraping, sanding, and buffing with a pad and bonnet with car polish. I am disappointed with the frame - it was painted white when I bought it and all I did was sand that a little and spraycan it, but the paint hasn't proven at all durable and of course the white shows up right away. I have a spare frame that I will get powdercoated and swap everything over to that - eventually...

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »
I'd be happy to get my tanks that good I think I need to spend more time then I have been polishing thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39:38 pm »
Oh yeah, and a big thank you to Nick from Motoduro UK. Great to deal with and lots of neat little odds and ends that even with the cost of shipping etc still end up well priced.

mainline

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »
The sidecovers are as original, scratches and all.

bloody hell, they're well preserved then for 30 yr old plastics.

Is it coming up to CD8??? ;D

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »
Nice IT Graeme, it brings back memories for me also as I bought a new one of these plus a new IT125G in 1980 for my then wife. We had lots of fun on them. Good job.

Stan.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:18:39 pm »
Nice Bike, My brother rode one of them in 1984 on dirt and also comuted to work for a while on it accross sydney traffic... It used more petrol than his Mini K 1100.
OLDYZMAN
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Hotelmoto

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »
IT looks good Graeme, great to see it finished. The one I had had a power jet on the carb was that standard,  it seemed to work OK.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 10:24:41 pm »
Yeah, the G had the powerjet carby. Dunno if it made any difference... I remember at the time that I thought the motor was very zippy, more of an MX engine than the F model. And a much peppier engine than my PE175Z that I had later. This one needs a little jetting work once it's run in to crisp it up but it's not bad as is.

monaro308

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:14 pm »
That looks great Graeme a big thumbs up from me.
I have a soft spot for IT's and always wanted one but never got there,once i bought the PE175X in '82 it's been Suzuki's from then (apart from the WR in the shed)
I still love the IT's though and it was good to read all the stoushes in the bike tests between the PE,IT,KDX and the occasional XR.....they were good days  ;)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:44:23 pm »
Sweet!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"