Author Topic: New ride planned on the new (to me) bike  (Read 828 times)

WulfeRyder

New ride planned on the new (to me) bike
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:20 pm »
G’day folks.
Well, I’ve gotten a new ride planned for September/October this year; chasing down a defence proposal for Australia during WW2 called The Brisbane line. The nuts of the story is that the Aussie government was planning to draw a line through Australia in the event that we were invaded by the Japanese Imperial Forces.
It was behind this line that, in the event of invasion, all available troops and civilians were going to retreat. Basically leaving all of Australia north of this line open to the invaders!

A ‘scorched earth’ policy was to be implemented which means anything left behind was to be destroyed so as not to leave anything useful.

And the new bike? I’ve got my hands on a 1978 Suzuki SP370 which I’m in the process of restoring. She needs a bit of work done, but most of the parts are there and she’s in relatively good condition.

Not an Adventure Tourer I hear you cry…. Well, we work with what we can hey!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New ride planned on the new (to me) bike
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:36:24 am »
It would of been an adventure tourer in 1978.

I've read a couple of old stories of guy's riding Hodaka's to the cape, so the SP should be luxury.

The SP was Suzuki's answer to the TT500.
I used to ride a TT500 and Pete Chiodo from Peter Stevens asked me to test ride one of the first SP370's in Melb' and tell him what I thought of it.  It was a silver one, or maybe they all were.  I came back and said "It's pretty gutless''.  "That's what I was afraid of" he replied.  In hindsight it probably wasn't that gutless as it was only a 370 and I was comparing it to my 500.

Sounds like an interesting trip.  Where does the line run?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: New ride planned on the new (to me) bike
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:44 am »
These siesmic lines always intrigued us leading into the never never out in central Oz.Now they do them in the ocean.Lines and track all over the show. ::)
Don't suppose the Government intended on leading everyone out that far to be hidden from the invasion of WWII,who do you save ? Syndey,Perth or Hobart.
Enjoy your exploring Wulferider which ever line you take.  8)

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/27727/fatchen_stage4_report.pdf

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&cr=countryAU&client=firefox-a&hs=oNQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&resnum=0&q=seismic+lines&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=eTWUS87NLpDq7APi6PjcCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCUQsAQwAw

Best is in the West !!