Author Topic: RE:valve saver  (Read 1852 times)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
RE:valve saver
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:13:50 am »
hi all just recently bought my daughter a 1972 honda sl 100 dont know any history of the bike dont know if or when its had an engine rebuild.the question is should i use a valve saver as i know with old cars that havent had the heads done for non leaded fuel should use it would this apply for the bike as well.also is there a valve saver to mix with fuel.thanx all cheers gary.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: RE:valve saver
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »
Years of playing with them, never had a problem with unleaded fuels and valves with the not used a lot off road fun bikes. But if you are putting it on the road for constant use a squirt of retail valve saver may be advisable. Cheers Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »
No need for valve saver if its got an alloy head. only really of use with valve seats directly cut into cast iron heads. Im no SL expert but if its got an alloy head (which i assume it has) it will already have 'hardened' (steel) valve seats in the head. It doesnt do the same thing as what lead does.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:45 pm »
thanx tim it wont be on road at all its for my 16 year old daughter so it probably wont even see full throttle unless i get on it  ;D and only goes out on sunday.thanx lwc dont know about the alloy head it is silver alloy colour from a can ;)and as you can tell from some of my questions im no expert on anything ;D.ill just run it without valve saver no ethanol additive fuel and see what happens.thanx again what would i do without this site and knowledgeable (had to ask the kids how to spell that big word ;D)people on here.cheers have a good one gary

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:31:17 pm »
Oops yes the SL most certainly  has an alloy head with hardened valve seats ;) Personally do recommend using premium unleaded not the 91 octane. Cheers
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:49 pm »
thanx tim ive put premium fuel in it seems to run good and quiet but that mite all change after sunday since my pe isnt going ;D the sl100 wont be as much fun but still beats sitting at home watching tv.cheers gary