Author Topic: Magura 314 Duo  (Read 1236 times)

mx250

Magura 314 Duo
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:10:30 pm »
In my treasure trove of 'stuff' I have a Magura 314 Duo twist grip throttle that appears in usable condition. I was thinking of redeeming it for the Monty Bitza enduro project. Three questions.

1/ Are these a good thing to use. I remember a discussion, but not the detail, about plastic 'whirlpool' throttle that are dangerous and prone to jam. Was it the Magura or was it a Magura copy?

2/ Whats the duo? It appears to have two 'throttle ramps' on the twist grip. I take it, but haven't measured, these give different cable movement ratios - 1/4 turn and 1/3 turn?

3/ I intend to hook it up to a Bing carby. Is there anywhere in Oz I can get a pre-made cable (at reasonable cost)?

Thanks in anticipation.

mainline

Re: Magura 314 Duo
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »
I've got a couple of these and they seem really well made. The dodgy throttle talked about elsewhere was a chinese gunnar gasser copy, not the magura. The different settings (1/4 turn or 1/3 are for mx or enduro apparently). The only downside is the lack of any adjuster mechanism.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:51 pm »
i like the 1/4 turn personally.
as for cables,
just grab a universal cable and if you're unlucky enough for it to not have the desired nipples in the packet, then any motorcycle workshop worth thier salt should have a box of the little goodies in thier stash and should be more than willing to help {you just solder them on and cut the outer housing to the correct length}.
i've cried "poor unfortunate soul" at the workshop door before and had my dilema solved without fuss and would happily do it again.
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:15:49 pm »
Thanks Vandy for reminding me of the bleeting obvious ::). I just didn't think of universal cables - I didn't even know they still existed. But I know the shop and just the mechanic to approach ;). :).

When I was cleaning the throttle I noticed the words 'enduro' and 'mcross' on the barrel cam 8) ;).

I'll get a cable with the adjuster half way along ;) :).

Thanks guys. 8)