Author Topic: lectron carbs  (Read 2206 times)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
lectron carbs
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:05:34 pm »
does anyone know anything about these things how to tune em or have any info on them i just got one thanks guys
MUGEN power

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: lectron carbs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:24:55 pm »
Most of the parts are standard Mikuni pilot/power jets, needle and seat etc. They have no main jet but have a metering rod instead.The rods are numbered 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 up to 8 I think then go 2-1, 2-2 etc etc If your at the extremities of adjustment you need a richer/leaner metering rod. Their big advantage is they have very good atomisation of fuel and remain unaffected by changes in relative air density.Their downfall(and the EI copy carb) is the lack of an air correction circuit and tend to go richer as rpm rises.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:36:02 pm »
thanks lozza i think i got the carb for a steal $100 thought it would be worth a go on the 480
MUGEN power

john d

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:10:38 am »
capps,
 we have 2 bikes fitted with Lectrons.
Here is an article on them done years ago that may answer some questions.

The power jet was added a few years back and it helps fine tune the first Needle # .
 It used a small Mikuni pilot jet to meter  1/2 to full throttle.

The PJ lets you tune a single needle over several #'s . You can use a 3/2 with power jet and have a 3 , 4 ,5 , 6 , 7  / 2 needle. Saves you a good bit of money in needles.
 Later Lectron went with a tunable Power Jet jet option , we have one on my 77 , 175 KTM cylinder Sachs 125 /A engine and it make jetting a carb lot easier.

You turn the knob like an idle mixture adjustment . Very easy to do an will change the First Needle # about 8 sizes  over its adjustment range.

Jetted spot on the right size Lectron will give you better lap times but it will probably  feel like the bike is slower to you.
It smooths out the hit on pipey engines and lets the rear wheel hook up better.

We have a friend that is a multiple ISDT medal winner and many time National Enduro champ that has used them since the late 70's on all his bikes. If you need some help with setup let me know and ill pass on Speedys email. He has been a big help to us for years with things like this.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:31:33 pm by john d »

mx250

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »
You make me feel sorry I Ebay'ed mine :-\. Too many project and I thinks 'Nah, ya never get to use it, its in the way - sell it' :P