Author Topic: MT 250 rebuild  (Read 1381 times)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
MT 250 rebuild
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:18:57 am »
Hi All,
I am rebuilding a 1974 MT250 motor from the ground up and have run into some problems tell me why do the japs always put one or two bearings and or seals that are a strange size?
I could get all of the bearings over the counter except one which I finally tracked down but was $90 as it was a strange size and there wasnt many in Aust.
I could get the seals except the inside crank seal which is no longer avaliable at Honda and is again a strange size 64 outter,38 inner and 14 thick.After my freind who owns a bearing shop chassed all day he found a 64/38/12 which will do but at a cost of $25 and only 6 in Australia as it is a very unusual size.It doesnt matter what old bike I rebuild you seem to come across this problem.
Is it me or are parts getting harder to find and becoming unavailable?

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: MT 250 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:53:20 am »
yes and no some parts are getting insainely hard to find and others not so its becoming a bit of a pain
MUGEN power

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:29:31 am »
Hi All,
I am rebuilding a 1974 MT250 motor from the ground up and have run into some problems tell me why do the japs always put one or two bearings and or seals that are a strange size?
Cheers
Fatboy

Why? So you can't go down to the bearing shop and buy one over the counter for next to nothing. Be careful using commercial type seals for cranks the should have metal band between the ID/OD when viewed from the inside.You might be able to run a sleeve between the crank and a bigger ID seal, the sleeve will have to be a H7 or 0.05mm press fit on the crank to work.
There is a place in Brisbane that will make any type of seal to order.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:39 am »
Have a look here, ebay, 370284494382